Jun 24, 2024  
2024-2025 Preliminary Catalog 
2024-2025 Preliminary Catalog

Financial Aid

Financial assistance is available to students to help cover college costs and educational expenses, such as tuition, fees, books, supplies and other approved expenses.  Assistance is provided through federal, state and institutional sources. The funds are distributed in the form of grants, scholarships, student employment or loans. Federal and state agencies provide regulations governing how to apply for these resources and the awarding procedures.

How to Apply for Financial Aid

To be considered for most types of financial aid, a student needs to:

  • Apply for admission to CCBC.
  • Enroll in a degree or eligible certificate program (16 credits minimum).  Personal Enrichment is not an approved financial aid program.
  • Complete and electronically submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year. The FAFSA is available every October 1.
    • For priority consideration of Maryland state grants and scholarships, submit the FAFSA between October 1 and March 1.

The U.S. Department of Education reviews the information submitted on the student’s FAFSA to establish you and your family’s Student Aid Index (SAI). Most financial assistance received by CCBC students is based on federal need-based requirements and is determined by subtracting the Student Aid Index (SAI) from the Cost of Attendance (COA). The COA is determined by factors such as number of credits and dependency status.

Requirements for Financial Aid Recipients

  • Apply for admission to CCBC.
  • Enroll in an eligible degree or certificate program.
  • Register only for the courses required within your program of study to earn a degree or credit certificate.
  • Demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA application.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Possess a high school diploma or GED (students should provide an official copy to the Registrar’s Office).
  • A student with a home school educational experience needs to:
    • Provide a secondary school completion credential for home schools as required by state law. 
    • Have completed a secondary school education in a home school setting that qualifies for an exemption from the compulsory attendance requirements if a credential is not required by state law.
  • Register for at least six billable hours per semester when accepting federal student loan(s).
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
  • Not be in default on any prior educational loan
  • Does not owe a repayment on any Title IV, HEA grant previously received from any institution

Certificates Not Approved for Federal or State Financial Aid

The following credit certificates do not meet minimum federal and state qualifications for financial aid eligibility. Financial aid is not available for these credit certificates.

  • A+ Certificate
  • Advanced HVAC
  • Basic Horticulture
  • CAD – Architecture and Design
  • CAD – Operator and Designer
  • Construction Project Controls
  • Corrections Professional Certification
  • Criminal Justice Professional Safety Certificate
  • Flight Attendant
  • General Studies
  • Global Studies
  • Introduction to Construction Methods
  • Legal Aspects of Construction
  • Minor Engineering
  • Preparation for Cisco
  • Preparation for Network
  • Quality Assurance Technician

Types of Financial Aid


  • Federal Pell Grants
    • The Federal Pell Grant is awarded to eligible undergraduate students with financial need. It is considered gift aid that does not need to be repaid. The Pell Grant is based on enrollment (registered credits or billable hours) and the Student Aid Index (SAI), which is calculated after the FAFSA is submitted.
  • Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant
    • Students whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11: If you meet the requirements above but aren’t eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant due to your SAI being too high, you might be eligible to receive an Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)
    • The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is awarded to eligible undergraduate students with exceptional financial need and with the lowest SAI. Students receiving Federal Pell Grant receive priority for FSEOG awards. FSEOG is administered by Financial Aid office at CCBC and is considered campus-based funding.
  • Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

Federal Direct Loans

Student loans are a form of financial aid that must be repaid.  Loan eligibility is determined by financial need and is awarded as part of the student’s financial aid package.

Students must:

  • Accept or decline offered loan(s) in SIMON via myCCBC.
  • Meet general federal financial aid guidelines.
  • Complete loan entrance counseling.
  • Complete the Mastery Promissory Note (MPN).The MPN is valid for 10 years.
  • Be enrolled in a program leading to a degree or certficate.
  • Enroll in at least six credits/billable hours for all terms of enrollment.
  • Complete the federal exit counseling after graduating, stop attending, or drop below half-time enrollment (six or more credits/billable hours).
  • Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Please note: A student can be denied a loan based on the professional judgement by a Financial Aid administrator.

Loan disbursement for a first-time borrower occurs 30 days after the start of the semester.

Federal Direct PLUS Loans for Parents
  • Parents may borrow on behalf of their student up to the COA (minus other financial aid) to assist with other educational expenses using a Federal Direct PLUS Loan. Parents must complete a credit check through the Department of Education before submitting a request form to the Financial Aid Office.

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study funding is awarded to enrolled students for employment in a variety of jobs throughout the college and the surrounding community. Students are required to be enrolled in at least six credits/billable hours and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress to participate in federal work study.  Jobs are generally limited to a maximum of 15 hours a week while classes are in session. Apply here for student employment.

Maryland State

  • Need-based grants and scholarships
  • Legislative scholarships
  • Career/Occupation-based grants and scholarships
  • Unique populations
  • Tuition waivers
  • Undocumented students can complete the Maryland State Financial Aid Application

For more information visit the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) or call 410-767-3300.


CCBC scholarships and grants are awarded to students who have demonstrated financial need, academic merit, or are preparing for certain career fields.  Scholarships and grants have different application deadline dates with varying criteria. Students should complete the General Application through AcademicWorks.

Community College Program Programs

The Baltimore County and Maryland Community College Promise scholarship programs, college-ready, recent high school graduates can attend CCBC full time without the cost of tuition and fees. 

Tuition Waivers

In addition to traditional financial aid (scholarships, grants, and loans), tuition assistance programs are available for certain members of our community, such as:

  • Disability
  • Early College Access Program (ECAP)
  • Employee/Retiree
  • Foster Care
  • Homeless Youth
  • Senior
  • Victims of Human Trafficking

Cost of Attendance (COA) Used to Calculate Financial Need

The cost of attendance (COA) is not the actual bill from CCBC; it is the estimated total amount it may cost you to go to college for that academic year.

CCBC creates the categories used in the COA. The COA includes:

  • Tuition and fees
  • Room and board
  • Miscellaneous expenses
  • Personal expenses
  • Transportation
  • Loan Fees

Book Credits

Students who have any financial aid available after tuition and fee charges are applied, a credit may be available in the bookstore. The bookstore credit begin and end dates for fall, spring, and summer semesters can be found in the Financial Aid Calendar. You can view your bookstore availability through your CCBC OneCard, during the bookstore credit period.

Average Budget for a Dependent Student*

Estimates are based on costs for fall and spring semesters and full-time enrollment (minimum 12 credit/billable hours). Estimates would be lower if you attend less than full-time (12 credits/billable hours) and/or fewer than nine months (fall and spring semesters combined). Note: CCBC does not provide on-campus housing. Off-campus is a FAFSA term used to subscribe dependent students not living with parents.

  Baltimore County: 
With Parent
Baltimore County:
With Parent
With Parent
Tuition and fees $4,380 $4,380 $7,474 $7,474 $10,880 $10,880
Books and supplies $1,430 $1,430 $1,430 $1,430 $1,430 $1,430
Loan fees $112 $112 $112 $112 $112 $112
Food and housing $5,836 $15,742 $5,836 $15,742 $5,836 $15,742
Personal expenses $1,510 $1,510 $1,510 $1,510 $1,510 $1,510
Transportation $2,168 $2,168 $2,168 $2,168 $2,168 $2,168
Total Estimated COA $15,436 $25,342 $18,530 $28,436 $21,936 $31,842

Independent Students*

  Baltimore County Out-of-County
(Baltimore City residents included)
Tuition and fees $4,380 $7,474 $10,880
Books and supplies $1,430 $1,430 $1,430
Loan fees $112 $112 $112
Room and board $15,742 $15,742 $15,742
Personal expenses $1,510 $1,510 $1,510
Transportation $2,168 $2,168 $2,168
Total Estimated COA $25,342 $28,436 $31,842

*COA Estimates may change after publication of the catalog. Visit the CCBC website for the most recent estimates. 

Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid

Federal regulations require all federal financial aid recipients be enrolled in a degree-seeking or approved certificate program and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to maintain eligibility. The Community College of Baltimore County (CCBC) complies with this requirement by monitoring each student’s academic progress against three standards: minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA), minimum completion rate and maximum time frame for completion of a degree, consistent with the provisions of this policy. All federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs administered by CCBC are governed by this policy.

CCBC evaluates SAP once a year, after the spring semester for students currently in Good Standing who seek an associate degree.  A student who is:

  • Assigned a Warning or Probationary status or is on an Academic Plan will be reviewed at the end of each semester/payment period.
  • Enrolled in a certificate program will be reviewed at the end of each semester or payment period.
Completion Rate

A student must successfully complete at least 67% of his or her total attempted coursework, including developmental courses.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

Students must maintain the following GPA for the number of attempted credits/billable hours. Please note: Financial Aid GPA is calculated differently than the student’s College GPA.


1-18 credits/billable hours



19-31 credits/billable hours



32-44 credits/billable hours



45 or more credits/billable hours


Maximum Time Frame

Students must keep within a maximum timeframe which is limited to no more than 150% of the published length of the program for undergraduate study for the degree or certificate the student is currently seeking. 

Students enrolled in an associate degree program who have attempted 90 credits or more (including transfer courses) and students appealing their suspension due to maximum timeframe must submit a completed SAP appeal form. A degree audit will be requested from Academic Advising to confirm remaining courses to complete the declared program of study. 

A student who is enrolled in developmental courses and is awarded financial aid cannot exceed 30 billable hours of developmental coursework.

Read about Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

Class Registration Deadlines for Students with a Financial Aid Award

CCBC’s Financial Aid Office uses a census date to determine student’s eligibility for financial aid.  A census date captures enrollment and financial aid is paid based on that enrollment. If a student changes their enrollment status before the census date, their financial aid must be adjusted (increase or decrease in financial aid). If their aid has already been disbursed to your student account and/or a refund has been issued, CCBC may have to return the funds. Students who are overpaid may owe CCBC after the funding has been returned.

Review the Financial Aid Calendar for the semester census dates.

Tuition Payment Deadline

A student is required to make tuition payment arrangements using the tuition payment plan if financial aid is not awarded by the time tuition payment is due. CCBC encourages students to apply for a tuition payment plan in SIMON.

Return of Federal Funds

Withdrawal from Courses:

The Financial Aid office is required by federal statute to recalculate federal financial aid eligibility for a student who withdraws, drops out, or is dismissed before completing the semester.

Once a student’s withdrawal date is determined, the school calculates the percentage of the payment period or period of enrollment that was completed. The percentage of the payment period or period of enrollment completed represents the percentage of aid earned by the student. This percentage is determined differently for students who withdraw from credit-hour programs and students who withdraw from clock-hour programs.

For students who withdraw from a credit-hour program:

The percentage of payment period or term completed equals the number of calendar days completed in the period divided by the total number of calendar days in the period.  Any break of five days or more is not counted as part of the days in the term. This percentage is also the percentage of earned aid.

CCBC does not use a R2T4 Freeze Date when determining the number of days scheduled to complete for the period.  CCBC will monitor enrollment changes throughout the entire semester process and will adjust the financial aid award for courses that a student does not begin attendance.  If the student received Direct Loans and/or FSEOG award funds based on half-time enrollment and fails to begin at minimum of 6 credits, the start and end date of any dropped courses will be included in calculating the number of days the student was scheduled to complete for the period as federal regulations require.

For students who withdraw from a clock-hour program:

The percentage of the period completed is determined by dividing the number of hours the student was scheduled to complete in the payment period or period of enrollment, as of the day the student withdrew, by the total number of clock hours in the same period.

Unsuccessful Student:

In the event a student is unsuccessful (Grades of FX, U, I or W) in all of their courses at the end of the semester, the Financial Aid Office is required by federal statute to recalculate federal financial aid eligibility for a student at the 50% point of the payment period unless academic records and/or faculty reported last attend dates suggest either an earlier or later last attend date.

Academic policy indicates that incomplete or “I” grades are offered to students by faculty if the student has successfully completed 60% of the course.  When determining a student’s last date of attendance, the Financial Aid Office takes the incomplete grade policy into consideration when determining the student’s completion rate.

Return of Federal Funds Exemptions:

In limited cases a student may be eligible for an exemption from Return of Title IV aid regulations.  The Department of Education has authorized waivers for these scenarios:

  1. Graduation—the student has completed all coursework for their declared program of study and is eligible for graduation.
  2. Completion with a passing grade of D or better in a part of term course that is equal to or greater than 49 percent of the total possible days within the traditional payment period. 
  3. Completion of halftime enrollment—the student must have earned a D or better in 6 credits.  A combination of an earned F grade and passing grade of D or better does not qualify for this waiver.

Impact to Aid:

Post Withdrawal Disbursement: If the student receives less Title IV aid than the amount earned, the school may be required to offer a disbursement of the earned aid that was not received. This is called a post-withdrawal disbursement (PWD).

  • Post withdraw disbursements must be applied to the student’s file within 45 days of withdrawal.  
  • If the disbursement includes loans, the student must submit in writing authorization to disburse those funds.
  • If there is a delay in finalizing the award file (such as selected for verification) the file must be resolved within 180 days of the student’s withdrawal.

Return of Unearned Aid: If a student earned less aid than the disbursed amount, the institution is required to return the unearned funds to the federal government in a specified order. When Title IV funds are returned, the student may owe a balance to the institution.

Aid is returned in the following order:

  • Unsubsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loans
  • Subsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loans
  • Federal Direct Parent (PLUS) Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants for which a return of funds is required
  • Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grants for which a return of funds is required

Payment for Repeat Coursework

There is a limit to the number of times when financial aid can be used to pay for repeated coursework.  If a student receives an F, W, I, or U for a course, financial aid can be used to pay for the repeated class in order for the student to earn a passing grade.  When the course has been passed with a grade of D or better (A, B, C, or S), financial aid can be used only one more time to pay for the course in order for the student to attempt to obtain a better grade.

Any second or subsequent repetition of the passed course will not be included in the student’s enrollment status for purposes of the Title IV programs. A Withdrawal (W), Incomplete (I) or failing grade (F or U) is considered a failed attempt. If a student previously passed a course and is repeating it for a better grade and earns a W, I, F, or U grade, the course is no longer eligible for payment because it is a failed attempt to improve the grade.

  • Example: If a student receives an “F” the first time he or she takes a course and subsequently passes the course with a “D”, the student may only receive financial aid one more time to improve the “D” grade. If the student receives a “D” the first time, takes a course and withdraws (W) or fails (F or U grade) the course on the second attempt, the course will not be paid by financial aid for a third attempt.

Financial Aid for Continuing Education Programs

An eligible financial aid student may receive assistance for enrollment in the education programs listed below. Contact the campus Financial Aid office for more information.

  • CNC Machine Tool Operator
  • Diesel Mechanic with CDL
  • Massage Therapy
  • Medical Assistant
  • Polysomnographic (Sleep) Technologist

National Guard Benefits

A student who is enlisted in the National Guard can receive as much as 36 months of tuition assistance when enrolled in a VA approved institution. The student must agree to serve six years and complete initial basic training to be eligible.

A guardsman or reservist who plans to enroll in a CCBC degree or certificate program will need to submit the original Notice of Basic Eligibility (DD2384) to Veterans’ Service before applying for benefits.

Veterans’ Educational Benefits

CCBC is approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission to grant and administer the Veteran Educational Benefits Program through the Department of Veteran Affairs for veteran students, enrolled in approved associate degree and certificate programs. A veteran who plans to enroll in an approved CCBC degree or certificate program will need to submit all of the required VA forms, documents and paperwork, including the original separation papers (DD214) member 4 copy for enrollment certifications by the Veteran’s Certifying Official. Benefit payments will vary depending upon the student’s eligibility and the VA Educational Benefits Program. Complete information concerning eligibility requirements for veterans, eligible spouses or dependents, how to apply, programs covered and payment rate information for the benefits listed below is available on the Department of Veterans Affairs website.

  • Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act Chapter 33
  • Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (MGIB-AD) Chapter 30
  • Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) Chapter 1606
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) Chapter 1607
  • Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA) Chapter 35
  • Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) Chapter 31

Contact a VA Certifying Official for assistance with veterans and other military personnel educational benefits applications.

In accordance with the Veterans Benefits and Transaction Act, Section 3679 of Title 38 amendment, which takes effect on August 1, 2019:

CCBC will not charge a student whose charges are fully covered by VA Chapter 31 or VA Chapter 33 a delinquent account fee or place any holds restricting access to registration, transcripts, or any college services while payment from the Department of Veterans Affairs is pending, so long as the student has provided the required Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class and paid any amounts not covered by their Veteran benefits, such as books and tuition and fees not funded by their benefits.

Tuition Information for Military Related Students

A student who meets one of these descriptions and lives in the State of Maryland while attending CCBC shall be charged a rate of tuition not to exceed the in-state rate for tuition and fees purposes.

Note: A Covered Individual is any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 30, Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty, Chapter 31, Veteran Readiness and Employment, or Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

  • A Veteran using educational assistance under either chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill® – Active Duty Program) or chapter 33 (Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®), or VA Chapter 31 (VR&E) of title 38, United States Code, who lives in Maryland while attending a school located in Maryland (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school after discharge or release from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in Maryland while attending a school located in Maryland (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school after the transferor’s discharge or release from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone described above while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same school. The person so described must have enrolled in the school following discharge or release as described above and must be using educational benefits under either chapter 30 or chapter 33 or chapter 31, of title 38, United States Code.
  • Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in Maryland while attending a school located in Maryland (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and the transferor is a member of the uniformed service who is serving on active duty.

The policy shall be read for amendment as necessary to be compliant with the requirements of 38 U.S.C. 3679(c) as amended.

Back to Top