Jun 22, 2024  
Catalog 2022-2023 
Catalog 2022-2023 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Enrollment Policies and Services

U.S. Citizens

The Community College of Baltimore County adheres to the following policy on residence status for U.S. citizens in compliance with the Maryland Higher Education Commission and the Code of Maryland Regulations:

“A student must reside in Baltimore County to be eligible for county tuition rates or in the State of Maryland outside of Baltimore County, to be eligible for state tuition rates. A student is a Maryland or Baltimore County resident if he or she has maintained his or her domicile in Maryland or Baltimore County, respectively, for at least three months prior to the beginning of the semester. Domicile as used in this regulation is defined as a person’s permanent place of abode, where physical presence and possessions are maintained and where he or she intends to remain indefinitely. The domicile of a person who received more than one-half of his/her financial support from others in the most recently completed year is the domicile of the person contributing the greatest portion of support, without regard to whether the parties are related by blood or marriage. A student who is under 18 years of age must claim his or her residence as that of his or her parents or legal guardians.”

Proof of Residency

It is the responsibility of the student to:

  • Provide all required documentation to the Enrollment Services Center in person or by e-mail to the Registrar’s Office when making a change of address. An employer, university or college, or post office box address cannot be used as a domicile address.
    • Residency is supported by the physical presence of a person and goods, and presentation of two or more different forms of the following documents dated three months before the start of the semester when moving into Maryland or Baltimore County:
      • State or information card ID
      • Utility bill (gas/electric, phone, cable)
      • Bank statement
      • IRS tax transcript
      • Current lease, rental agreement or deed of residence
      • Voter’s registration card
      • Pay stub with current address
      • Vehicle registration card
    • Additional documentation, such as a signed (notarized) statement or proof of property taxes verifying the residency claim may be required.
    • A dependent student must provide the aforementioned proofs in the name of his or her parents or legal guardians, as well as documentation to verify the person’s relationship to the student.
    • Documents presented after the last day of the third week of classes, or after 20% equivalence of the semester or session, will be reviewed and considered for the next term.
  • Verify his or her address, residency or billing rate during each registration period and before the start of the next semester.

A student who may be homeless, a victim of human trafficking, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals  (DACA) or Dream Act student, a ward of the state or veteran may need to submit other documentation in order to establish residency.

  • A homeless student may submit an official letter from a homeless shelter with his or her name and length of stay. 
  • A victim of human trafficking may submit the following:
    • Certified law enforcement, court, or other federal or state agency records or files;
    • Documentation from a human trafficking prevention or assistance program; or
    • Documentation from a religious, medical, or other professional from whom the applicant has sought assistance or treatment as a victim of human trafficking.             
  • A student who seeks the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) tuition benefit must submit a CCBC Acknowledgement of DACA Application Procedures form and an original Form I-797
  • A student who meets the Dream Act eligibility criteria must submit an Application for In-State Tuition for Undocumented Students along with the required supporting documentation. 
  • A ward of the state must provide official legal documentation.
  • An active duty member of the U.S. armed forces, veteran, and spouses and dependent children of active military are exempt from paying nonresident tuition, under the following conditions: (a) The active duty member is stationed, resides or is domiciled in this State; or (b)The honorably discharged veteran presents one of the following within 4 years after discharge (1) Evidence of attendance in a public or private secondary school in this State for at least 3 years; (2) Documentation of graduation, or equivalent of a high school diploma, from a public or private secondary school in this State (3) Evidence that the veteran resides or is domiciled in this State. Students in this category shall be included as in-State residents for computation of State aid.

Contact the Enrollment Services Center or Registrar’s office to determine appropriate documentation.

Permanent Residents, Refugees and Asylees

A non-U.S. citizen who is a permanent resident, refugee or asylee must present immigration documents at the time of application to confirm residency status for tuition purposes. The same Residency Policy for U.S. citizens applies to these students. Documents presented after the last day of the third week of classes, or after 20% equivalence of the semester or session, will be reviewed and considered for the next term.

Students with a Pending Application for Permanent Residency

CCBC recognizes that non-immigrant students may have pending applications with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for legal permanent residency (LPR). CCBC will approve in-state tuition rates for applicants who can provide evidence that their LPR application is in the final stages of approval. Such evidence would include the following documents:

1. A receipt for filing Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) and

2. A stamped Application Support Center (ASC) Biometrics Appointment Notice

A student must meet CCBC residency requirements as specified in the catalog and may also need to submit a CCBC Change of Student Information form. A student’s immigration status will be monitored every 12 months by the International Student Services office to determine the case status for a pending permanent resident application. If the approval for permanent resident status is denied by USCIS, the student’s tuition rate will be re-adjusted to the out-of-state (international) tuition rate.

A student must maintain all requirements of his or her current immigration status and visa until permanent residency is approved by USCIS.

International Students with an F, M or J Visa Status

A student studying in the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa is billed at the out-of-state (international) tuition rate because his or her permanent place of residence is outside the United States.

Individuals with admissions questions related to their visa status or with visa classifications not mentioned above should contact the International Student Services office.

When submitting documents to CCBC, students are advised to retain a copy for their records. Transcripts and other documents will not be reissued by CCBC to another institution or returned to the student.


Graduation Preparation 

To prepare for graduation, a student may use DegreeWorks, for programs of study in the catalog year Fall 2011 through the current year, to identify those courses which have been completed and the courses that are needed to meet program requirements for the degree or certificate. For programs of study started before Fall 2011, contact an academic advisor for assistance.

It is always recommended that a student meet with an academic advisor to determine readiness to apply for graduation. 

Graduation Information

A student who intends to earn a degree or credit certificate must apply for graduation.

  • Complete a graduation application or obtain an application from the Enrollment Services Center.
  • Submit the application with payment to CCBC by the following deadline dates:
    • March 15 for spring semester completion
    • May 15 for summer semester completion
    • September 15 for fall semester completion
      (Submit the application on the Friday before the 15th if the date is on the weekend)
  • Make the check or money order payable to CCBC. Graduation fees are non-refundable.
    • $75 for the associate degree; $50 for a certificate (If applying for a degree and a certificate, the total is $75.)

Effective spring semester 2018, the payment of a single graduation fee is sufficient for receipt of one or multiple certificates and/or Associate degrees. Applications for subsequent certificates/degrees must be submitted within 24 months of receipt of the initial certificate/degree payment to honor the single payment policy. For further details, contact Graduation@ccbcmd.edu.

  • Send the graduation application and fee payment by mail to:

Registrar’s Office
CCBC Essex
7201 Rossville Blvd
Student Services Center
Baltimore, MD 21237


The graduation application will be reviewed after the application and payment are submitted. Applications are processed in the order in which the applications are received. An email confirming the applicant’s graduation status will be issued 2-3 weeks after the application has been reviewed.

Degrees and certificates will post on transcripts approximately 2-4 weeks after the end of the semester. Updated transcripts are viewable through SIMON.

Diplomas will be mailed approximately 4-5 weeks after the end of the semester. Diplomas are mailed to the address on file with the college.

Learn more about graduation requirements and commencement.

Late Registration for Open Sections

A student may be permitted to register late for an open class without the Dean’s or Dean’s Designee’s permission before the second class meeting. After the class has met twice, a student is required to obtain permission from the Dean or Dean’s Designee (in consultation with the instructor). A student can drop, add or withdraw from a course during regular business hours or in SIMON by 11:30 p.m. the day before the semester or session begins.


Beginning the first day of the semester, permission from the Dean or Dean’s Designee is required for:

  • Courses that meet once a week only and have already met
  • Science courses with labs
  • Abbreviated sessions (ex. 5, 6, 7, or 10, 12 week classes)
  • ​Online or blended courses

A $30.00 late registration fee will be charged for initial registrations made on or after the first day of the semester or session. 

Withdrawal and Refund policies are located in the Tuition and Fees  section of the catalog.

Registration Prior to Completion of a Course Prerequisite

A student is permitted to register for a course while currently enrolled in the prerequisite(s) for the course. For example, a student currently enrolled in ENGL 101  is able to register for a course that identifies ENGL 101  as a prerequisite.

If the minimum grade requirement for the prerequisite course is not met, the student will be dropped from the course(s) requiring the prerequisite in upcoming terms, within that year, even if that semester has already started.

Change of Student Information


Documentation is required to make an official name change.  Submit any of the following:

  • Marriage License
  • Court order
  • Divorce Decree
  • A valid, current government issued ID (driver’s license, valid passport, military ID)

Major (Program of Study)

A student who seeks to change his or her major/program of study may do so in the Enrollment Services Center or by emailing the Registrar’s office by the last day of the third week of classes for the full term. A change of major can also be applied for the following reasons:

  • To receive financial aid or veterans benefits
  • To graduate in the current semester
  • Or if a student is not currently registered and plans to register for a course outside of the traditional 15-week (full) term

If there are other extenuating circumstances, the request to change a major will be reviewed by the Enrollment Services Center or Registrar’s office. 

Preferred First Name

CCBC implemented a Preferred first name policy that allows a student to indicate a preferred first name regardless of a change in his or her legal name. Visit the policy statement page in the catalog or the CCBC website for the Change of Information form.

Social Security Number

An original Social Security Card is required for correction to a Social Security number. Visit the Social Security website for information and forms to obtain a Social Security or Taxpayer Identification number.


All CCBC obligations must be satisfied before a transcript will be processed.

Official transcripts

  • If your name or address has changed, submit a Change of Information form with official documentation to the Enrollment Services Center or email the Registrar before requesting a transcript.
  • CCBC will send an official transcript of the student’s academic record to a college, university, or employer per the student’s request.
  • Please click here to learn more about the official transcript process.

Unofficial transcripts

  • Unofficial transcripts may be accessed and printed in SIMON or requested in the Enrollment Service Center.

Statewide and Health Workforce Shortage Programs

The Budget Reconciliation and Financing Act (House Bill 72) enacted changes to the discounted tuition rate for out-of-county students in Statewide and Health Manpower Grants. Beginning in FY 2012, State funding is limited to the amount provided in the annual State budget; colleges will be reimbursed on a pro-rata basis for qualifying out-of-county fees if annual appropriation is insufficient to cover the complete cost. The act establishes that a community college may charge the student the out-of-county rate and is then required to reimburse the student the amount the college is reimbursed by the State.

CCBC has chosen to provide out-of-county students 100% of the out-of-county differential at the time of registration. International students (F-1 student visa, etc.) are not eligible to receive the differential.

  • A student must verify his or her address and program of study with the Enrollment Services Center or the Registrar’s office when registering for classes.
  • Statewide differential will be applied within 24 hours after the student enrolls for the semester.
  • When tuition is due at the time of registration, a student is required to inform the Bursar that he or she is enrolled in a Statewide or Health Workforce Shortage program.
  • A student in a statewide program must be enrolled in all courses by the 50% period as referenced on the college academic calendars in order to receive the statewide differential for the current academic year.  Any registration after that date will be billed at the out-of-county rate and not the statewide differential.  A student whose classes are cancelled for non-payment may be subject to full charges, not the differential rate.
  • For more details, view the Statewide and Health Workforce Shortage Programs listed below and under Programs of Study.

A student who drops classes during the 50 percent refund period is responsible for the out-of-county tuition charge. See the Withdrawal Policy for details.

Statewide Programs:  
Automotive Technology
Aviation Technology
Construction Craft Professional
Construction Management
Geospatial Applications

Human Services Counseling
Interpreter Preparation
Mortuary Science
Survey Technology
Sustainable Horticulture


Health Workforce Shortage Programs:  

Dental Hygiene
Emergency Medical Technology
Health Informatics and Information Technology
Medical Laboratory Technology

Occupational Therapy Assistant
Practical Nursing
Radiation Therapy
Respiratory Care Therapist
Veterinary Technology

CCBC OneCard Student ID

A CCBC OneCard student ID is required for access to many CCBC services and facilities including:

  • Bookstore
  • Campus cafes
  • Library
  • Student printing
  • Student Life activities
  • Testing centers
  • Computer labs
  • Athletic and wellness facilities
  • Athletic equipment use
  • Event check-in
  • CCBC Shuttle service
  • Vending services

Check-in at Enrollment Services/Financial Aid/Academic Advisement

The CCBC OneCard also allows students to take advantage of student discount prices in the community.

After registering for classes, download the CCBC OneCard mobile app and follow these instructions to obtain the OneCard and photo ID.  Present an unexpired official photo ID with your name and recognizable photograph when you request a card in the Enrollment Services Center.

Acceptable forms of photo identification include: 

  • Driver’s license or permit
  • Motor Vehicle Administration issued state ID card
  • High school or middle school ID**
  • College or university student ID
  • U.S. government issued ID
    • Passport or passport card
    • Permanent resident card
    • Employment authorization card
    • Visa
    • Asylee documentation
  • Tribal ID card
  • Naturalization card or certificate of citizenship

** High school or middle school ID cards must have a picture, a month and year and may not be more than 4 years old.

** U.S. government issued ID cards may not be more than 10 years old.

A $10.00 fee is charged to obtain a replacement. 

Learn more about the CCBC OneCard account, spending limits, inactive accounts and resolving errors or disputes.

The CCBC OneCard is the official photo identification card of the Community College of Baltimore County and should be carried by the cardholder at all times. The college reserves the right to require additional photo identification at some campus offices and services. The card is permanent and nontransferable. CCBC OneCards will be confiscated if presented by someone other than the cardholder or if the card is involved in inappropriate or illegal use. Fraudulent use of the card will result in disciplinary action, including but not limited to academic expulsion and/or termination of employment.

Student Electronic Communications

CCBC uses electronic technology to communicate with applicants and students about enrollment, financial aid, payment, non-attendance, grades and graduation information. Enrolled students are required to frequently check myCCBC for information in student email, SIMON and Brightspace.

Back to Top