CCBC Strategic Plan – FY 2014 to FY 2016
Adopted June 12, 2013
The Community College of Baltimore County provides an accessible, affordable and high-quality education that prepares students for transfer and career success, strengthens the regional workforce and enriches our community. We want our students to succeed and make progress toward the completion of their educational goals through degree or certificate attainment, transfer, workplace certification, career enhancement or personal enrichment.
We will be the institution of choice for students, where together we make teaching purposeful, learning powerful, completion primary, and community paramount.
Commitment: We want our students to succeed and make progress toward the completion of their educational goals through degree or certificate attainment, transfer, workplace certification, career enhancement or personal enrichment.
Learning: We are committed to ensuring our students grow as active learners, develop a passion for life-long learning, and use what they have learned to their benefit.
Innovation: We value innovation and support a climate of discovery. We encourage students, faculty and staff to explore new ideas, methods and processes. Responsibility: We have high expectations for the work of our employees, the academic rigor of our offerings, the scholarship of our students, and the involvement of the community and the workplace in the college’s future.
Integrity: We inspire public trust by maintaining ethical and collaborative relationships with our faculty, students, staff, alumni and communities. We share our achievements and challenges honestly and openly.
Inclusiveness: We celebrate the differences and similarities of our students, employees and the communities we proudly serve. We value the diversity of people, cultures, ideas and viewpoints and we honor the dignity of all persons. We insist on open and honest communications, fairness, mutual respect, collegiality and civility at all times. We are committed to preparing students to be active citizens, ready to meet the challenges of an increasingly diverse world and a changing global marketplace.
Excellence: We emphasize quality as a standard for all we do and consistently look for ways to improve organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
Stewardship: We support sustainable practices and prudently manage resources dedicated to advancing the college’s mission and strategic directions.
Collaboration: We encourage continuous dialogue among students, faculty and staff, and support ongoing cooperative relationships with our partners in the community regarding their educational, cultural, recreation and workforce needs.
Strategic Direction I - Student Success
- CCBC provides the highest quality instruction and student services, positioning all students to maximize their performance. The college assists students in achieving their completion goals, leading to a degree or certificate, obtaining transfer credits, developing specific skills, expanding employment opportunities, or enriching their personal lives.
- We believe:
- The success of our students defines our college. Fostering student achievement is our collective commitment and the ultimate measure of institutional excellence.
- Student success is part of a continuum that forms the basis for becoming a lifelong learner.
- Efforts to measure and track student success must focus on enhancing outcomes that emphasize the student’s own completion goals.
- The intellectual, cultural, civic and economic growth of individuals and their communities is linked to student success.
- Student success must be supported both inside and outside of the classroom.
- CCBC will continue to:
- Make student success the cornerstone of the college’s optimal teaching and learning environment.
- Provide students with contextualized assessment tools as they explore and develop their own intended pathways, emphasizing reasonable and attainable goals.
- Promote quality academic programs that have both depth and value, challenging and developing the abilities of all students.
- Ensure outcomes, standards and assessments reflect relevant academic criteria and industrybased standards.
- Utilize intellectually rigorous teaching and learning techniques to challenge all students, helping them meet appropriate academic standards and expectations.
- Support student success by focusing upon learning-oriented policies and practices, consistently applied across the college and bolstered by current technologies.
- Enrich whole-learning opportunities for students by integrating academic activities with student development, community service, co-curricular initiatives and service learning.
- Develop, incorporate and maintain high-impact, forward-thinking success strategies and interventions for all learners.
- Provide regular faculty and staff development opportunities that support educational initiatives and student success agendas.
- Routinely measure and assess student outcomes using multiple measures of achievement and success, and act upon the results to improve student outcomes.
- Recognize the unique challenges of at-risk populations, offering targeted strategies and interventions that encourage persistence and academic success.
Strategic Direction II - Teaching and Learning Excellence
- CCBC promotes the academic and professional success of students by offering relevant, adaptive, responsive and inclusive curricula, supporting the teaching and professional achievement of faculty and making high-quality learning support services available.
- We believe:
- All students, faculty and staff are part of the teaching and learning environment.
- Accessible and highly focused student support services are vital in furthering student awareness, entry, steady progress, goal attainment and completion.
- Students committed to and prepared for engagement in higher education are well positioned for future academic success and to maintain enthusiasm for lifelong learning.
- CCBC will continue to:
- Provide effective services that will attract, enroll, engage and retain students.
- Enhance the quality, effectiveness and innovation of teaching and learning initiatives to promote a success-centered, completion-oriented environment.
- Foster accessible and supportive learning environments, enabling students to identify and achieve their educational and career goals.
- Provide a learning environment that values diversity, multiculturalism, inclusiveness and global awareness.
- Encourage students to value lifelong learning, personal development, active citizenship and educational and professional advancement.
- Expand opportunities for students to develop transferable skills and credentials, thereby supporting successful transitions to future goals.
- Provide high-quality programming and services that have currency and market viability in the workplace.
- Improve teaching and learning experiences to meet or exceed the needs of the workplace and the high expectations of the college’s many communities.
- Coordinate, review and assess current educational offerings based on student, community and workplace needs and develop new curricula to support areas of targeted growth.
- Advance successful learning outcomes by utilizing the most technologically appropriate and effective teaching methods and formats available.
- Provide faculty and staff professional development opportunities that foster teaching excellence, encourage student success and completion goals, and enhance support services.
Strategic Direction III - Organizational Excellence
- CCBC encourages an organizational culture that emphasizes innovation, quality, continuous improvement, excellence, entrepreneurship, service and success. The college supports individuals and teams involved with and responsible for providing and managing college’s human, capital, financial, technical, academic and technological resources.
- We believe:
- Efficiency, effectiveness, quality improvements and best practices must be woven throughout the college’s processes, operations and programs.
- Data-driven decision making, in support of continuous quality improvements and institutional effectiveness, is critical in maintaining accountability.
- Employees must be provided with the tools, training and support they need to succeed.
- Employees should be valued as individuals, and recognized and rewarded for their contributions to the college.
- CCBC will continue to:
- Provide the highest quality managerial, administrative and operational support for all strategic directions, ensuring organizational success and sustainability.
- Adopt and adapt policies, procedures, evaluations, processes and operations across the college to ensure equity, consistency, fairness and effectiveness.
- Use ongoing assessment, evaluation and planning to respond to changes in internal or external environments and ensure the accessibility of data and reporting across the college.
- Emphasize data-driven decision making in furthering continuous improvement and institutional effectiveness.
- Support all levels of credit and non-credit instruction, programming and services.
- Enhance, maintain, upgrade and support technology in all college learning and working environments.
- Improve utilization of existing technology and systems, and maximize training and support for all employees in the effective use of technology.
- Provide professional development opportunities and programs to foster employee workplace improvement and personal growth.
- Maintain an attractive, safe, clean, secure, sustainable and respectful college environment for students, faculty, staff and guests.
- Engage in stewardship and practices that sustain and safeguard the college’s economic, social, governance and environmental well-being.
- Utilize and build upon the rich diversity of talents, skills and perspectives of students, faculty and staff.
- Enhance college communications and maximize the use of social media and emerging technologies to inform, engage and involve the college’s many communities.
Strategic Direction IV - Community Engagement
- CCBC values community support, respect, commitment and engagement.
- We believe:
- Our communities extend beyond our campuses and sites.
- Earning and maintaining the involvement and support of our communities by anticipating and responding to their current and future needs and interests is essential to our mission.
- Transparency and accountability to public and private supporters are vital.
- Respecting and honoring communities’ close attachments to individual campuses are important in fostering community support and participation.
- Continuous promotion and targeted marketing for programs and services are critical in gaining student, alumni, community, business and workforce recognition.
- Partnering, collaborating and engaging with existing and potential stakeholders are paramount to the future of the college.
- CCBC will continue to:
- Respond to the changing needs of the college’s many communities and external constituencies by offering degree, training and life enrichment programs and courses that meet the education and workforce needs of the county and region.
- Capitalize on current media and emerging technologies to engage community members and create a greater awareness of CCBC as an educational, economic, cultural, artistic, recreational, civic and business catalyst and resource.
- Encourage and expand our relationships and partnerships with high schools and transfer institutions.
- Welcome and value the rich diversity of our communities.
- Expand our affiliations and partnerships with sponsors, donors, alumni and supporters.
- Communicate with and build strategic alliances with workforce, business and economic development partners.
- Pursue external funds for the college’s institutional priorities and special initiatives to provide educational opportunities to meet workplace needs, expand apprenticeship programs, solicit inkind contributions, and provide scholarship support for students.
- Identify, cultivate and engage in mutually beneficial partnerships with businesses and industries, community groups and associations, not-for-profit organizations, government entities and other educational institutions throughout the Baltimore metropolitan region and the state.