Primary Aerobic Fitness Trainers coach or instruct groups or individuals in exercise activities. They demonstrate techniques and form, observe participants, and explain corrective measures needed to improve their skills. They work in athletic centers, gyms, senior centers, recreation centers, and client’s private homes.
Upon successful completion of this Continuing Education Workforce Certificate, students will be able to:
1. function more effectively as a primary aerobic fitness trainer working with individuals or small groups to achieve their fitness goals through cardiovascular exercise;
2. design and execute individual and small group fitness goals in a healthy and safe manner;
3. proficient in conducting screenings to assess the physical needs of the client;
4. meet the eligibility requirements to be certified as a primary aerobic fitness trainer through AAAI/ISMA;
5. maintain a level of client confidentiality, personal integrity, and professional standards;
6. continue employment as a primary aerobic fitness trainer and pursue options to maintain the American Aerobic Association International/International Sports Medicine Association (AAAI/ISMA); and
7. assume responsibility for continued professional and personal development through lifelong learning/continuing education.
CCBC Credential: Students will have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript).
External Credential: Successful completer will receive a fitness certification from the American Aerobic Association International/ International Sports Medicine Association (AAAI/ISMA).
Certifying Organization: American Aerobic Association International/ International Sports Medicine Association (AAAI/ISMA) www.aaai-ismafitness.com
Financial Aid and Payment Options
- Partial Payment Option (through Nelnet Business Solutions)
- Tuition Waiver for those who qualify
- Employer/Sponsor Paid Tuition
- Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
- Local Office of Workforce Development
Length of Training
7 hours to complete the class and written exam.
Courses are offered at CCBC Catonsville Campus, CCBC Essex, and CCBC Owings Mills.
Current CPR, Automated External Defibrillator (AED) and First Aid certifications.
Students should be computer literate and have Internet access.
Recommended: High School Diploma or GED; prior experience and/or interest in fitness and nutrition.
Provisional Entry – Verification of required certifications.
Prior Learning Assessment
This program has no options for obtaining course waiver(s) for prior learning.
(approximate cost; subject to change)
Primary Aerobic Trainer Certification
Studies in Exercise; $29
This study guide must be purchased and read prior to the start of class.
A stringent attendance policy will be enforced.
Students who earn a minimum score of 80% on the written exam and a passing grade of ”CC” for completing the course will receive their certification.
Skills for Success:
Previous work-related skill, knowledge or experience in health and fitness is required for fitness trainer occupations. Employees in these positions usually need one or two years of training that involve both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced personal trainers or fitness instructors.
Detail-oriented; dependability; self-control; ability to follow safety rules; ability to follow directions; cooperation; integrity; persistence; manual dexterity; mechanical aptitude; mathematical aptitude; ability to stand for long periods of time; ability to lift 35 pounds; excellent communication and customer service skills.
Train to work in entry-level skilled positions such as Personal Fitness Trainer, Aerobics Instructor, Fitness Instructor, Group Fitness Instructor, Group Exercise Instructor, Fitness Coordinator, Fitness Director, Fitness Technician, Fitness Trainer and Private Trainer
Research your career interests, explore live job postings, take a career assessment, discover which companies in the Baltimore region are hiring, and more. View a brief tutorial video on how to use Career Coach at: https://youtu.be/C7KpznbPYfA . Explore career and training opportunities at: https://ccbcmd.emsicc.com/.