Mar 01, 2024  
Catalog 2012-2013 
Catalog 2012-2013 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Registrar’s Office

U.S. Citizens

The Community College of Baltimore County adheres to the following policy on residence status in compliance with the Maryland Higher Education Commission and the Code of Maryland Regulations:

“A student must reside in Baltimore County to be eligible for county tuition rates or in the State of Maryland outside of Baltimore County, to be eligible for state tuition rates. A student is a Maryland or Baltimore County resident if he/she has maintained his/her domicile in Maryland or Baltimore County, respectively, for at least three months prior to the beginning of the semester. Domicile as used in this regulation is defined as a person’s permanent place of abode, where physical presence and possessions are maintained and where he/she intends to remain indefinitely. The domicile of a person who received more than one-half of his/her financial support from others in the most recently completed year is the domicile of the person contributing the greatest portion of support, without regard to whether the parties are related by blood or marriage. A student who is under 18 years of age must claim his/her residence as that of his/her parents or legal guardians.”

Proof of Residency

It is the responsibility of the student to:

  • Provide all required documentation to the Enrollment Services Center when providing a change of address. An employer or post office box address cannot be used as a domicile address.
    • The burden of proof is on the student. A student needs to provide two (2) forms of documentation to substantiate his or her change of address. For example: 
      • A copy of a student’s valid driver’s license, a rental agreement, a utility bill (gas and electric or a telephone) may be used.
  • Verify his or her residency and billing rate upon registration for the next semester.
  • Sign a required statement verifying his or her residency claim.

Any documents presented after the last day of the third week of classes or after 20% equivalence of the semester or session has passed will be reviewed and considered only for the following term.

Permanent Residents, Refugees and Asylees

A non-U.S. citizen who is a permanent resident, refugee or asylee must present immigration documents at the time of application to confirm residency status for tuition purposes. The same Residency Policy for U.S. citizens applies to these students.

Non-Immigrants Who Have Applied for Permanent Residency

A student who possesses a Notice of Action statement from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security or an Employment Authorization Document with immigrant notations may file a petition for residency reclassification for tuition purposes. Two forms of supporting documentation are required to determine whether or not the applicant has resided in-county or in-state for at least three months. If the reclassification request is submitted by the third week or 20% equivalence of the semester/session, and it is granted, any resulting favorable decision will be implemented for the current semester.

International Students with an F, M or J Visa Status

A student studying in the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa must pay out-of-state (international) tuition because his or her permanent place of residence is outside the United States.

All other individuals, with visa classifications not mentioned above, are required to meet with staff in the International Student Services office.

Late Registration for Open Sections

A student may be permitted to register late for an open class without the Dean’s or Dean’s Designee’s permission before the second class meeting. After the class has met twice, a student is required to obtain the Dean’s or Dean’s Designee’s permission (in consultation with the instructor).


Beginning the first day of the semester/session, the Dean’s/Designee’s permission will be required for the following:

  • Courses that meet once a week only
  • Science courses with labs
  • Abbreviated sessions

The Dean’s or Dean Designee’s permission will be required for ALL Web courses on the first day of the semester/session. If the student misses one class meeting, the late enrollment policy will take effect.

Note: A $30.00 late registration fee will be charged for initial registrations made on or after the first day of the semester/session.

Statewide and Health Workforce Shortage Programs

The Budget Reconciliation and Financing Act (House Bill 72) enacted changes to the discounted tuition rate for out-of-county students in Statewide and Health Manpower Grants. Beginning in FY 2012, State funding is limited to the amount provided in the annual State budget; colleges will be reimbursed on a pro-rata basis for qualifying out-of-county fees if annual appropriation is insufficient to cover the complete cost. The act establishes that a community college may charge the student the out-of-county rate and is then required to reimburse the student the amount the college is reimbursed by the State.

CCBC has chosen to provide out-of-county students in these programs a discount of 50% of the out-of-county differential at the time of registration, instead of requiring students to pay in full and receive a subsequent reimbursement.

  • A student must verify his or her program of study with the Enrollment Services Center at the time of registration.
  • When tuition is due at time of registration, a student is required to inform the Bursar that he or she is enrolled in a Statewide or Health Workforce Shortage program.
  • For more details, visit Statewide and Health Workforce Shortage Programs.

NOTE: A student who drops classes during the 50 percent refund period is responsible for the out-of-county tuition charge. See the Withdrawal Policy  for details.

Statewide Programs:  
Automotive Technology
Aviation Management
Child and Youth Care Practitioner
Construction Craft Professional
Construction Management
Geospatial Applications
Sustainable Horticulture
Interpreter Preparation
Labor Studies
Mortuary Science
Recreation, Parks and Tourism
Survey Technology


Health Workforce Shortage Programs:  
Chemical Dependency Counseling
Dental Hygiene
Emergency Medical Technology
Health Informatics and Information Technology
Medical Laboratory Technology
Medical Office Assistant
Mental Health
Occupational Safety and Health Technology
Occupational Therapy Assistant
Physician Assistant
Practical Nursing
Radiation Therapy
Respiratory Care Therapist
Veterinary Technology

Specialized Accreditations

Programs with specialized accreditations can be found at the following link:

Self Service Graduation Audit

A self-service graduation audit called the Curriculum Advising and Program Plan (CAPP) helps a student to monitor progress and identify courses to complete a degree or certificate. The audit applies to programs of study in the catalog years fall 2001 through the current year. A student can locate CAPP on SIMON, the online student information system.

Graduation Information

A student who intends to earn a credit degree or certificate must apply for graduation whether or not he or she plans to participate in the graduation ceremony. To prepare for graduation a student needs to:

  • Meet with an academic advisor to determine readiness to apply for graduation
  • Submit a graduation application for the degree and/or certificate. Applications are available at all campus Enrollment Services Centers or online.
    • Complete the application in its entirety (including catalog years and, if applicable, degree option) and deliver it to the Registrar’s office by the following deadline dates:
      • March 15 for spring semester completion
      • May 15 for summer semester completion
      • September 15 for fall semester completion

        If the due date falls on a weekend, the Friday before is the due date,

    • Attach payment of the non-refundable graduation fee (check or money order made payable to CCBC) of $50 for associate degree and/or $25 for certificate at the time of application.
  • Mail the application to:
    • Registrar’s Office
      CCBC Essex
      7201 Rossville Blvd
      Building A, Room 150
      Baltimore, MD 21237

Applications will be reviewed by a graduation specialist to determine if all requirements will be successfully completed by the end of the semester. Additional information about graduation requirements may be obtained by contacting the Registrar’s office at 443-840-2222.

CCBC commencement details can be found on the CCBC website (

Student ID Cards

The CCBC photo ID card is issued to eligible CCBC students to access services and facilities including:

  • Bookstore Library
  • Activities offered by the Student Life office
  • Testing Centers
  • Computer labs
  • Physical Education Facilities

A new photo ID card or current semester validation of an existing ID card may be obtained from the Enrollment Services Centers. A $5.00 fee is charged to obtain a replacement ID card.