Individualized instruction for adults with learning challenges is used to present basic and intermediate skills and concepts for cooking in the commercial food industry and to earn the ServSafe
® Manager certification. Using materials encountered in commercial and small kitchens, topics include safe food handling, avoiding foodborne illnesses, food preparation, hospitality, safe utilization of kitchen equipment, and employment skills specific to a commercial kitchen.
This career and academic track is designed for students with learning differences or disabilities that impact learning. This track provides instruction that is multisensory, multimodal, personalized, and incorporates elements of universal design for learning. Classes are taught with a 6 to 1 student-teacher ratio to better meet the needs of individual learners.
Students will earn a CCBC Workforce Training Certificate and have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript).
Back Line Cook
Courses are offered at CCBC Dundalk.
6th Grade Reading Level according to TABE (Tests of Adult Basic Education) that will be administered during an intake interview.
Selective Entry – Please call 443-840-3262 to schedule an interview and assessment.
Program Course Sequence
1. Food Production for Special Learners: CHA 139
2. Hospitality for Special Learners: CHA 138
3. Basic Food Handling and Safety: CHA 103
4. Skills and Concepts for Employment: CHA 050
5. Basic Nutrition and Food Preparation for Special Learners II:CHA 120
6. Methods of Food Productions for the Commercial Kitchen: CHA 105
- Tuition/Fees: $2630 (Tuition-$458/Fees-$2172)
- Textbook/Materials: N/A
Program Contact Information
Dundalk, MASH 104
Dundalk, MASH 104
Financial Aid and Payment Options
- Continuing Education Opportunity Grant
- Partial Payment Option (through Nelnet Business Solutions)
- Tuition Waiver for Senior Citizens and Individuals with Disabilities
- Employer/Sponsor Paid Tuition
- Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
- Local Office of Workforce Development