This course series prepares students to sit for certification to become a Unit Clerk or Unit Secretary through the National Association of Health Unit Coordinators. A Unit Clerk or Unit Secretary coordinates all functions of a hospital unit. In this entry level position, Unit Clerks schedule support services for patients, triage phone calls and function as the communication hub for the hospital unit.
Students will have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript). Upon completion of this training, students are eligible to sit for certification through the National Association of Health Unit Coordinators.
National Association of Health Unit Coordinators
Certification exam cost: $195.00
This is an entry level position with the possibility of moving into other careers. With additional training unit clerks can move into many other positions in a hospital setting.
Courses start in September, January and May at CCBC Essex and CCBC Randallstown.
High School Diploma or GED.
All students must be computer literate and have Internet access.
HIPAA Training, CPR and First Aid classes REQUIRE 100% attendance. Students arriving late to class will not be admitted. Lateness to, or early exit from, class will also result in a failing grade and no refund. Students will then be required to retake the class at their expense.
Open Entry – No screening or documentation required.
Program Course Sequence
1. (Prerequisite) Medical Terminology for Health Occupations: AHE 534
2. (Prerequisite) HIPAA Training: AHC 360 Or HIPAA Training Online: AHL 719
- Textbook/Materials: Handouts Online
3. (Prerequisite) CPR for Health Care Providers: AHE 805
- Textbook/Materials: BLS for Healthcare Provider Student Manual available in the library or for purchase at the bookstore; ISBN 1616690399; $15.20
4. (Prerequisite) Introduction to Health Care Systems: AHE 641
- Introduction to Healthcare, 3rd Edition; By Mitchell and Haroun; published by Delmar Cengage Learning; 1435487559; $127.95
5. Unit Clerk Training: AHL 802
6. Introduction to Electronic Health Records (EHR) Training: AHL 798 OrIntro to EHR Online: AHL 804
- Electronic Health Records for Allied Health Careers; McGraw Hill; 9780073309788; $97.90
- Tuition/Fees: $1414-1454 (Tuition-$673 /Fees-$741-781)
- Textbook/Materials: $309
Program Contact Information
Essex, HTEC 005
Essex, HTEC 013
Financial Aid and Payment Options
- Continuing Education Opportunity Grant
- Partial Payment Option (through Nelnet Business Solutions)
- Tuition Waiver for Senior Citizens and Individuals with Disabilities
- Employer/Sponsor Paid Tuition
- Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
- Local Office of Workforce Development