May 25, 2020
This course series provides instruction that updates a nurse’s knowledge on the current practice of medical-surgical nursing in acute care. Topics covered include: healthcare trends/nursing roles; nursing process; pharmacology/dosage calculation; body systems (neurological, cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal, renal, musculoskeletal, and reproductive), hematology, immunity, gerontology, oncology, and pain management
Students will have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript).
Students will be able to apply to the Maryland Board of Nursing for active nursing licensure.
Maryland Board of Nursing (MBON)
4140 Patterson Avenue, Baltimore, MD, 21215; 410-585-1900
Most hospitals are hiring BSN Registered Nurses. There are increasing vacancies for LPNs in long-term care facilities.
The Nurse Refresher course starts in April and October at CCBC Essex.
Non-expired Active or Inactive Maryland Registered Nurse or non-expired Inactive Maryland Licensed Practical Nurse; computer literate; and Internet access.
Students must have the following paperwork turned in to the coordinator prior to the start of class:
- Negative PPD (within 12 months) or negative chest x-ray less than one year old
- Positive titer or proof of vaccination/immunity for measles, mumps, rubella and varicella
- Hepatitis B vaccination or declination form
- Tetanus shot (within 10 years)
- Copy of health insurance card
- Completion of physician medical exam report
- Copy of high school diploma or GED
- Current flu vaccination
Provisional Entry: Prospective students must provide verification of nursing credentials, and must meet with the Program Coordinator prior to registration.
Program Course Sequence
1.Nurse Refresher – Part I: Theory: NUR 005
- Medical-Surgical Nursing (Single Vol. Ed. w/CC); Brunner & Suddarth; 2014; Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins; $169.40
2. Nurse Refresher Skills Lab: AHE 793
3. Nurse Refresher – Part II: Theory: NUR 006
- Tuition/Fees: $1925 (Tuition-$1145/Fees-$780)
- Textbook/Materials: $169.40
Program Contact Information
Essex, HTEC 013D
Essex, HTEC 001
Financial Aid and Payment Options
- Continuing Education Opportunity Grant
- Partial Payment Option (through Nelnet Business Solutions)
- Tuition Waiver for Senior Citizens and Individuals with Disabilities
- Employer/Sponsor Paid Tuition
- Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
- Local Office of Workforce Development