This Continuing Education Certificate Program prepares students to sit for the CompTIA® A+ exam, and for a career as a computer service technician. Learn how to identify computer problems and repair them. Develop the skills to build and configure hardware, install and update software, and maintain computer networks. Work in a variety of settings in both public and private business sectors. Excellent attendance in this program is required for successful completion.
CCBC Credential: Students will have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript). Students will be awarded a Continuing Education Workforce Training Certificate and an opportunity to sit for the CompTIA® certification exam
Certifying Organization: Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA®), www.comptia.org
With certification, students qualify for entry-level positions including Computer Repair Technician, Field Service Technician, Computer Support Specialist, Technical Support Specialist, and Help Desk Support Technician. This career requires continued training and education.
The length of this program is 1 semester. Courses start in August, January, and June at CCBC Catonsville, CCBC Essex and CCBC Owings Mills. Course schedules vary each semester. Courses may be offered face-to-face, online or hybrid (a combination of the two).
- High School Diploma or GED
- Students must be computer literate, have strong computer skills, and have access to the Internet to complete assignments
Open Entry – No screening or documentation required.
Program Course Sequence
Excellent attendance is required
1. A+ Certification PC Technician Module 1 : PCA 644 or PCA 994 (both shared with credit course DCOM 141 )
- LabSim/ PC Pro (Access Code); TestOut; $156.25
- Check with Coordinator for potential text update before purchasing
2. A+ Certification PC Technician Module 2 : PCA 645 or PCA 995 (both Shared with credit class DCOM 235 )
- Textbook/Materials: Same as Module I
- Tuition/Fees: $1438 (Tuition-$434/Fees-$1004)
- Textbook/Materials: $156.25
Program Note: Program includes two A+ exam vouchers
Program Contact Information
Location: Owings Mills, 305E
Location: Owings Mills, 302
Financial Aid and Payment Options
- Continuing Education Opportunity Grant
- Kathy & Jerry Wood Foundation Vocational Scholarship
- Partial Payment Option (through Nelnet Business Solutions)
- Tuition Waiver for Senior Citizens and Individuals with Disabilities
- Employer/Sponsor Paid Tuition
- Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
- Local Office of Workforce Development