HSL 089 - Culinary Foundations III
8.7 Continuing Education Units (CEU). This course is not for Credit(s).
This noncredit course is designed to teach students the basics of meat, poultry, seafood, vegetables, and grains while applying correct flavor development and cooking techniques. Topics to be covered include basic food groups and the preparation and cooking techniques appropriate for each. Students will continue to practice and hone their skills by preparing meals for the Maryland Food Bank’s network of partners.
1. identify and fabricate a variety of cuts including beef, poultry, and pork;
2. identify, prepare, and cook a variety of vegetables, grains, and fruits;
3. discuss and understand the importance of seasonality and the impact of local ingredients on various cuisines;
4. identify, fabricate, and cook fish and shellfish;
5. identify and prepare a variety of dishes using dairy and egg products;
6. prepare a variety of international dishes by applying correct cooking techniques, knife skills, vegetable identification, grain identification, meat identification, and fabrication.
[Add to Portfolio]