HSL 087 - Culinary Foundations I
8.7 Continuing Education Units (CEU). This course is not for Credit(s).
This noncredit course is designed to introduce the student to professional kitchen standards, professional behavior standards, and work flow. Topics to be covered include large and small equipment ID, proper food safety and sanitation procedures, cooking, receiving, storage, mise en place, and seasoning agents. Students will practice and hone one’s skills by preparing meals for the Maryland Food Bank’s network of partners.
1. explain, understand, and demonstrate professional standards in relation to personal appearance, conduct, and kitchen etiquette;
2. discuss and understand the need for a sense of urgency through speed and efficiency in kitchen operations;
3. discuss and apply the correct practices for safe food handling, cleaning and sanitation procedures, personal hygiene
practices, and proper equipment and facilities care;
4. discuss, apply, and demonstrate proper knowledge and execution of knife skills;
5. discuss and demonstrate correct use of all major commercial (small and large) food service equipment;
6. discuss and apply correct procedures for the flow of food: receiving, storage, food preparation, cooking execution, and cooling; packaging, to include bulk and Reduced Oxygen Packaging, and food package labeling; and
7. discuss, identify, and apply the best use for various cooking agents: seasonings, spices, herbs, and marinades; and how to develop flavor profiles.
[Add to Portfolio]