A caterer works closely with clients to design menus and prepare and serve food and beverages for events. Caterers may work for a small or large company, or be self-employed.
This online course is designed to prepare students to organize and manage a catering function in a catering facility or at a customer’s location. Students will learn catering styles, human resource management, accounting principles for catering, marketing, food production processes, food safety, and planning for success.
Students entering this program should have outstanding people skills, professional appearance, ability to work independently, good math skills, and knowledge and/or experience in hospitality-related fields is helpful. Since this course is delivered completely online, students need to have the self-discipline to complete all required material on their own.
Professional Catering jobs can be found in hotels, restaurants, convention centers, and catering businesses, or a caterer may have their own business. Additional career information may be found in Career Coach: https://ccbcmd.emsicc.com/.
Upon successful completion of this continuing education program, students will be able to:
1. demonstrate the knowledge and skills to plan for successful food and beverage preparation events;
2. describe and apply the business skills needed in the catering industry, including contract negotiation, marketing, and human resources management;
3. prepare for the Certified Professional in Catering and Events (CPCE) exam administered by National Association for Catering and Events (NACE); and
4. prepare to start a career with a catering business or work in a catering facility.
Business Pathway - Pathways are designed to help you meet your academic and career goals by aligning related courses and programs. Pathway students participate in a variety of activities that help explore career opportunities in their field of study. You can meet with a CCBC advisor who help align — or realign — your educational plan with the Pathway that best supports you and your goals.
CCBC Credential: Students will receive a Continuing Education Workforce Certificate and have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript).
External Credential: Certified Professional in Catering & Events (CPCE)
Certifying Organization: National Association for Catering and Events, www.nace.net
Financial Aid and Payment Options
We offer financial aid by packaging public and private funding options to those who qualify, in select Continuing Education courses and programs. Additional opportunities for financial support include partial payment options through Nelnet Business Solutions and tuition waivers for those who qualify. Resources outside of CCBC may also be available through employer/sponsor paid tuition, the Department of Rehabilitation Services (DORS), and your local office of workforce development.
Length of Training
Approximately 100 hours.
Students will have 6 months to complete the course.
- High School Diploma or GED recommended
- Basic high school level competencies
- Basic liberal arts knowledge
- PC or Mac with a high-speed Internet connection (DSL or cable)
- PC: Windows 10 or later/Mac: macOS 10.6 or later
- Basic understanding of computers and how to navigate the Internet
- E-mail capability
- Microsoft Outlook 2007 software should be installed prior to beginning this program
- Program is compatible with the following browsers: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozille Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
This program is eligible for Baltimore County Public School Blueprint funding
To apply, go to www.ccbcmd.edu/apply and complete the CCBC Continuing Education Workforce Certificate program application. An email will then be sent with program information and any additional requirements necessary to apply for the program.
Open Entry – No screening or documentation required.
Prior Learning Assessment
This program has no options for obtaining course waiver(s) for prior learning.
Program Course Sequence
(approximate cost; subject to change)
Catering Professional Online
|Included with course cost.
Research your career interests, explore live job postings, take a career assessment, discover which companies in the Baltimore region are hiring, and more. View a brief tutorial video on how to use Career Coach at https://youtu.be/C7KpznbPYfA. Explore career and training opportunities at https://ccbcmd.emsicc.com/.