Dec 06, 2023
This course enables the student to learn the essentials of professional bartending and qualify to take the National Restaurant Association’s advanced exam for alcohol service in order to earn an alcohol service certificate for Maryland. Topics include bar preparation, beverage recipes and customer service, as well as understanding alcohol laws and responsibilities, evaluating intoxication levels, checking identifications, and dealing with difficult situations. It will prepare the student to: discuss liquor liability issues and state liquor laws; demonstrate the use of bartending equipment and tools; identify various glassware utilized in a bar operation; recognize brands of liquor and relate brands to type of liquor; and practice customer service skills and sale of drinks using a point of sale system.
CCBC Credential: Students will have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript). Students will receive a Continuing Education Workforce Training Certificate. Students will qualify to take the National Restaurant Association’s advanced exam for alcohol service.
Certifying Organization: Health Communications, Inc.
This course prepares students for positions in restaurants, hotels, motels, resorts, casinos and catering companies as a Bartender or Server. The hospitality, restaurant and casino industries have many opportunities for internal and fast promotion up the career ladder for those seeking advancement.
5 daytime sessions (6 hours per class) or 10 evening sessions (3 hours per class)
Courses are offered at CCBC Owings Mills.
Daytime and evening classes are offered in CCBC’s Fall, Spring and Summer sessions.
High School Diploma or GED
Minimum age of 21
Open Entry – No screening or documentation required.
Program Course Sequence
1. Professional Bartending: HSL 103
- T.I.P.S. – Training for Intervention Procedures Certification books, exam and certification costs provided and included in courses costs
- Tuition/Fees: $449 (Tuition-$335/Fees-$114)
Program Contact Information
Hunt Valley, 106
Catonsville, BESS 100
Financial Aid and Payment Options
- Continuing Education Opportunity Grant
- Partial Payment Option (through Nelnet Business Solutions)
- Tuition Waiver for Senior Citizens and Individuals with Disabilities
- Employer/Sponsor Paid Tuition
- Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
- Local Office of Workforce Development