This course series prepares students to apply for Maryland State certification as both a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) and a Geriatric Nursing Assistant (GNA). Nursing Assistants work under the supervision of an RN or LPN. They assist with daily living functions which include helping patients with eating, dressing, bathing, personal grooming and toileting. They are responsible for taking a patient’s temperature, pulse rate, respiration rate, and blood pressure.
Students will have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript). Students will be able to apply to the Maryland Board of Nursing for Certified Nursing Assistant. Students will be eligible to apply for state certification as a Geriatric Nursing Assistant (GNA).
Certifying Organization: Maryland Board of Nursing (MBON); www.mbon.org 410-585-1900; 4140 Patterson Avenue Baltimore, MD 21215; MBON Certified Nursing Assistant application fee: $20 (You must have a credit card or pre-paid bank card, electronic passport size photo, and fingerprint documentation.)
American Red Cross (ARC); http://www.redcross.org/ 866-257-6470; FAX: 866-257-6506; GNA Testing Maryland NNAAP (National Nurse Aide Assessment Program); P.O. Box 5875 Harrisburg, PA 17110; GNA Certification Testing: $105; testing takes place at CCBC Dundalk and CCBC Randallstown.
Nursing assistants help provide basic care for patients in hospitals and residents of long-term care facilities, such as nursing homes. Nursing assistants must complete a state-approved education program and pass their state’s competency exam to become certified.
Prerequisite courses start monthly at a variety of CCBC locations.
Course series offered September – December at CCBC Essex (evening), January – March at CCBC Randallstown (evening), and May-June at CCBC Essex (daytime).
High School Diploma or GED; computer literate; and Internet access.
Students must have the following paperwork turned in to the coordinator prior to the start of class:
- Negative PPD (within 12 months) or negative chest x-ray less than one year old
- Positive titer or proof of vaccination/immunity for measles, mumps, rubella and varicella
- Hepatitis B vaccination or declination form
- Tetanus shot (within 10 years)
- Copy of health insurance card
- Completion of physician medical exam report (PMER) provided by college
- Copy of high school diploma or GED
- Current flu vaccination
During the class and/or near the end of class students must pay for two background checks and one urine drug test.
Provisional Entry – Prospective students must participate in an orientation session prior to registration
Program Course Sequence
1. (Prerequisite) HIPAA Training: AHC 360 Or HIPAA Training Online: AHL 719
- Textbook/Materials: Handouts Online
2. (Prerequisite) CPR for Health Care Providers: AHE 805
- Textbook/Materials: Books Provided in Class
3. Nursing Assistant Theory: AHL 639
- Text included with the course: Hartman’s Nursing Assistant Care: Long-Term Care; 3rd edition
4. Nursing Assistant Clinical: AHL 638
- Tuition/Fees: $2027 - $2047 (Tuition-$1166 /Fees-$861-$881)
- Textbook/Materials: $0
Program Contact Information
Essex, HTEC 001
Aimee King, RN
Essex, HTEC 013D
Financial Aid and Payment Options:
- Continuing Education Opportunity Grant
- Kathy & Jerry Wood Foundation Vocational Scholarship
- Partial Payment Option (through Nelnet Business Solutions)
- Tuition Waiver for Senior Citizens and Individuals with Disabilities
- Employer/Sponsor Paid Tuition
- Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
- Local Office of Workforce Development