Dental office staff often needs the capability and knowledge to take oral radiographies. Office hours are generally standard daytime hours with some evening and weekend flexibility needed, depending on the facility. This course is part of the Dental Assistant training, but can also be taken on its own. People with Dental Assistant training are more marketable, but Maryland regulations only require this radiography training to work in a dental office. Please note that in order to take radiographs in the State of Maryland you must be 18 years of age and pass the Dental Assistant National Board (DANB) Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) exam.
Students will have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript). Students will be awarded a Continuing Education Workforce Training Certificate. Students will be eligible to take the Radiography certification exam. Students will be prepared to gain an entry level dental assistant position, and can challenge the Dental Assistant exam with one year’s experience.
Dental Assistant National Board (DANB)
Entry level dental assistant position.
Oral Radiography course: 6-8 weeks
Radiation Safety Update course: 3 weeks
Courses are offered at CCBC Dundalk.
High School Diploma or GED; 18 years of age.
All students must be computer literate and have Internet access. Clinical eligibility is in part dependent upon a criminal background check and urine drug testing. Cost of the test is the responsibility of the student.
HIPAA Training, CPR and First Aid classes REQUIRE 100% attendance. Students arriving late to class will not be admitted. Late arrival to, or early exit from, class will also result in a failing grade and no refund. Students will then be required to retake the class at their expense.
Students must have the following paperwork turned in to the coordinator PRIOR to the start of clinical:
- Negative PPD (six months) or negative chest x-ray less than one year old
- Positive titer or proof of vaccination/immunity for measles, mumps, rubella and varicella
- Hepatitis B vaccination or declination form
- Tetanus shot (less than ten years)
- Copy of high school diploma or GED
- Current flu vaccination
Provisional Entry – Prospective students are required to attend an orientation session prior to registration.
Program Course Sequence
For students without an oral radiography certification
1. Oral Radiography: AHE 792
- Dental Radiography Principles and Techniques, 5th Edition; Elsevier; ISBN 032397420; $92.75
- Tuition/Fees: $649 (Tuition-$300/Fees-$349)
- Textbook/Materials: $92.75
For students whose oral radiography certification has expired that want to be reinstated
1. Radiation Safety Update: AHL 826
- Tuition/Fees: $199 (Tuition-$69/Fees-$130)
Financial Aid and Payment Options
- Continuing Education Opportunity Grant
- Partial Payment Option (through Nelnet Business Solutions)
- Tuition Waiver for Senior Citizens and Individuals with Disabilities
- Employer/Sponsor Paid Tuition
- Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
- Local Office of Workforce Development