ADS 781 - Applying Skills to the Workplace
2 Continuing Education Units (CEU). This course is not for Credit(s).
This course is designed to assist Accelerated Connections to Employment (ACE) participants to build on interpersonal coping skills that will allow them to learn self-management skills in the workplace. Topics to be covered include creating resumes and cover letters, interviewing effectively, and learning other skills necessary for obtaining and keeping a job.
Upon completion of this course, the students should be able to:
1. demonstrate an understanding of the importance of a positive first impression and a positive mental attitude;
2. identify one’s work values and learn strategies for separating personal issues from their professional lives;
3. develop essential self-management skills, including time management, frustration management, and managing changes in the workplace;
4. improve workplace communication skills focusing on verbal and written techniques;
5. identify strategies for communicating effectively with co-workers and supervisors;
6. demonstrate an understanding of the importance of ‘netiquette;’
7. develop techniques to provide effective customer service;
8. demonstrate an understanding of corporate culture, employer expectations, and customer relationships;
9. receive trainings on diversity in the workplace and sexual harassment;
10. identify strategies for interviewing and conduct practice interviews throughout the course; and
11. design resumes and cover letters that will lead to employment in their occupational area of interest.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)