VOA 554 - CDL Class A – Maneuvers and Road Skill Basics
9.1 Continuing Education Units (CEU). This course is not for Credit(s).
This course is designed to help the student learn about commercial vehicle operation and to develop the knowledge and skills needed to pass the range (maneuvers) and road portions of the Maryland Vehicle Administrations (MVA) Class A Commercial Driver’s License examination. The student will learn a variety of backing and parking maneuvers, up-shifting/down-shifting, and the safe and efficient operation of various tractor-trailer (Class A) vehicles. Topics to be covered include: A review of pre-trip inspections, air-brake leak tests, straight-line backing, blind and sight-side parallel parking, shifting, highway and road signs, and basic road operations. Pre-requisite: MVA CDL Learner’s Permit with endorsements.
Upon completion of this course, the students should be able to:
1. conduct a proper and complete pre-trip inspection of a Class A vehicle,
2. perform an air-brake leak test properly,
3. demonstrate correct up-shifting and down-shifting of a heavy duty manual transmission,
4. demonstrate correct down-shifting of a heavy duty manual transmission,
5. complete a proper blind side parallel parking maneuver,
6. complete a proper sight side parallel parking maneuver,
7. demonstrate a straight-line backing maneuver, and
8. operate a CDL-A vehicle safely on roads and highways in a variety of conditions.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)