AHE 802 - Basic EKG Technician Training
2 Continuing Education Units (CEU). This course is not for Credit(s).
This course is designed to introduce students to EKGs and cardiac anatomy and physiology. This is the first of three courses designed to prepare students to sit for National Certification as an EKG Technician. Topics to be covered include basic cardiac anatomy, patient preparation, and patient confidentiality. Students will be able to obtain an EKG reading from a fellow student by the end of the course. Prerequisites are the successful completion of medical terminology, basic math and anatomy/physiology.
1. identify the basic structures of the heart and how they function;
2. identify the components of the EKG wave and explain how they relate to cardiac system;
3. perform a technically correct 12-lead EKG strip on a fellow student;
4. review basic EKG strips and make impressions of the tracings in relation to rate, rhythm, axis, hypertrophy and infarct; and
5. recognize various conditions/disease ( cardiac insult, ischemia, infarct) based on the EKG strip.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)