Sep 24, 2023
AHL 674 - Venipuncture Clinical
8 Continuing Education Units (CEU). This course is not for Credit(s).
This course is designed to enable the student to apply the skills obtained in the classroom to a clinical or a patient care setting. This course will allow the student to supplement the training provided in Venipuncture and Specimen Collection Techniques course. Topics to be covered include Universal precautions; communications skills; anatomy and physiology; and specimen collecting, handling, processing, and lab operations. The student’s knowledge and skills in performing venipuncture and specimen collecting and processing will be assessed by a clinical monitor. This course prepares the student for the National Association for Health Professionals (NAHP) certification exam.
- demonstrate an understanding of aseptic techniques;
- describe the role and responsibility of a health care worker in a health care setting;
- demonstrate an understanding of venipuncture and specimen collection techniques;
- perform venipuncture and specimen collection;
- demonstrate lab safety and quality assurance when processing specimens;
- prepare blood specimens for lab analysis;
- prepare urine and stool specimens for lab analysis;
- prepare throat and urine cultures for bacteriology studies;
- properly operate laboratory instruments;
- demonstrate proper patient safety; and
- demonstrate a readiness to take the national certification exam.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)