AHE 124 - Medical Terminology Online
3 Continuing Education Units (CEU). This course is not for Credit(s).
This course is designed to provide the student with a working knowledge of basic medical terminology. Correct pronunciation, correct spelling and meaning are all essential to use and understand medical terminology. Topics to be covered include word parts, word roots, prefixes and suffixes, pronunciation, body systems, anatomy, diseases, diagnosis, therapy, and medical record abbreviations. This course is recommended for all students interested in any health care occupation whether in direct patient care or medical office and insurance work.
Upon completion of this course, the student should be able to:
1. demonstrate correct spelling and correct pronunciation of medical terminology;
2. analyze and define the meaning of medical terminology using knowledge of word roots, suffixes, and prefixes;
3. identify medical terms when given a definition;
4. identify body systems;
5. identify basic anatomy structures in each of the body systems;
6. review types of medical practices and procedures;
7. explain the importance of using correct terminology when dealing with other healthcare professionals;
8. describe body planes and positions as applied in the medical field;
9. list common medical abbreviations used in medical records;
10. demonstrate the ability to understand reports that use medical terms and abbreviations; and
11. explain the importance of being able to translate medical terminology so that patients can understand.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)