AHE 715 - Technological Sciences for the Surgical Technologist
1.8 Continuing Education Units (CEU). This course is not for Credit(s).
This course is designed to provide the student with an understanding of the fundamental principles of science and technology. The course will relate the basic concepts of the sciences to current and developing technologies in the operating room, care for the surgical patient, and general operating room safety. Topics to be covered include computer skills, electricity, physics, robotics, and lasers.
Upon completion of this course the student will be able to:
1. identify the basic components of a computer system;
2. demonstrate basic computer skills and apply them in the operating room;
3. define electricity and physics and identify terms and basic principles of electricity and physics;
4. define types of electrical currents and the components of an electrical receptacle;
5. identify the basic components and mechanisms of a robotic system;
6. cite surgical applications of robotics;
7. identify the components of a laser system;
8. discuss how lasers work, types of lasers, and how they are used clinically; and
9. demonstrate safe patient care practices in the operating room.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)