Sep 19, 2018
This degree pattern is designed to help students transfer to colleges and universities that offer a baccalaureate degree with a major in Speech Communication, Communication Studies, or a related field.
Type of Credential
Associate of Arts (A.A.) in Humanities and Social Sciences
Transfer Pattern - Communication Studies
Contacts and Additional Information
CCBC Catonsville, Owings Mills, Randallstown
CCBC Dundalk and Hunt Valley
This is a suggested full-time schedule for a student who has completed any developmental course work and has no transfer credits. Refer to the College catalog for specific requirements in selecting General Education Courses .
Courses Needed for This Transfer Pattern*
General Education Requirements and Electives - 34-36 Credits
General Education Requirements:
General Education Electives:
Choose courses in each category from the list of approved General Education Courses . One course must be a Diversity course.
Students must have at least 60 credits for an associate degree. Students who choose to take 3 credits of Mathematics and 7 credits of Biological and Physical Sciences, rather than 4 and 8, may need to take an additional class in order to reach at least 60 credits.
- Arts and Humanities (World Language course recommended) 3 Credit(s).
- Biological and Physical Sciences (at least one must have a lab) 7-8 Credit(s).
- Information Technology 3 Credit(s).
- Mathematics 3-4 Credit(s).
- Social and Behavioral Sciences 6 Credit(s).
Program Requirements and Electives - 26-27 Credits
Choose a two-semester sequence from this list.
Choose one course from this list. The course may also be used as a General Education elective.
Select 9 credits:
Total Number of Credits Required for Degree: 60*
*Credit students who are new to college (no successfully completed transferable college credits from other institutions) are required to take ACDV 101 - Academic Development: Transitioning to College . This 1-credit course is designed to be taken in the first semester at CCBC. Students must provide an official transcript(s) from an accredited institution to document successful completion of college coursework for the ACDV 101 requirement to be waived.
**These courses may also be used to satisfy General Education electives.
Depending on the General Education electives completed, more courses may be needed in order to reach 60 credits for the degree.
Transfer Pattern Description
This degree pattern is designed to help students transfer to colleges and universities that offer a baccalaureate degree with a major in Speech Communication, Communication Studies, or a related field. Beyond the General Education requirements and other degree, program, and elective requirements, this pattern should be considered in light of the requirements of the selected transfer institution. Students should consult with a transfer coordinator or an advisor for information about specific requirements.
Transfer Pattern Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this transfer pattern, students will be able to:
- demonstrate the ability to speak clearly, concisely, and accurately in a variety of contexts and presentational formats;
- use critical thinking skills to analyze and solve problems, to reason logically, and to distinguish between good and bad reasoning in a variety of contexts;
- understand themselves and others from various cultural, social, aesthetic, political, philosophical, environmental, and global perspectives;
- use research skills that demonstrate knowledge, credible information and literacy; and
- use reading, writing, oral or signed communication skills to organize, express, and absorb ideas and information in interpersonal, group, organizational, and presentational settings.