A Medical Office Administrative Assistant works in a medical office performing general customer service duties. The Medical Office Administrative Assistant’s responsibilities may include receiving patients, scheduling appointments, answering phones, posting account information, and submitting medical claims. This program prepares students to obtain employment working as administrative assistants in a medical environment or as medical billing clerks.
Students will have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript).
Students will be awarded a Continuing Education Workforce Training Certificate.
This program trains students for entry level positions in the medical office field.
Courses start in August and January at CCBC Catonsville.
High School Diploma or GED.
Students are required to take math and reading assessments. Eighth grade math and tenth grade reading levels are recommended. Testing is waived for students with documentation of a college degree or a minimum C grade earned for college level Math and English.
Open Entry – No screening or documentation required.
Program Course Sequence
1. Fundamentals for the Medical Office: AHL 081 (Shared with credit OFAD 146)
- Administrative Medical Assisting; 9781133133926; $110
- Administrative Medical Assisting Workbook; 9781133278573; $77
- Instructor may also require: HIPAA for Medical Office Personnel; 9781401865740; $85
2. Microcomputer Keyboarding: PCP 230(Shared with credit OFAD 102)
- Textbook/Materials: Materials Provided
3. Medical Terminology: AHL 708 (Shared with credit OFAD 141)
- Health Professions Swp CC Baltimore County Pkg. w/mMmt Lab A/C Med Term; 9781323411612; $101
4. Computer Applications for Administrative Assistants: PCA 570
- 1) Microsoft® Excel for Medical Professionals; ISBN 978128509338; $80;
- 2) Microsoft® Word for Medical Professionals; ISBN 9781285083940; $81
5. Medical Billing and Patient Accounting: AHL 742 (Shared with credit OFAD 251)
- Computers in the Medical Office; 9781259382834; $217
6. Medical Coding for Non-Coders: AHL 840
1) Medical Coding for Non-coders; 9781584260813; $59;
2) 2015 Coding Workbook for the Physician’s Office; 9781305259133; $59;
3) CPT 2015 Professional Ed; 9781622020263; $118;
4) ICD-10-CM 2015 Professional Edition for Physicians, Vols. 1 and 2; 9781622540457; $100; and
5) HCPCS 2015 Level II Professional Edition; 9781622021833; $97
7. Professional Development Series: PDE 040
- Textbooks/Materials: Materials Provided
- Tuition/Fees: $2399 (Tuition-$463/Fees-$750-$1649)
- Textbook/Materials: $1124-$1209
Program Contact Information
Catonsville, BESS 104B
Financial Aid and Payment Options
- Continuing Education Opportunity Grant
- Partial Payment Option (through Nelnet Business Solutions)
- Tuition Waiver for Senior Citizens and Individuals with Disabilities
- Employer/Sponsor Paid Tuition
- Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
- Local Office of Workforce Development