Learn the fundamentals of Electronic Health Records (EHR) and prepare for national certification as a Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (EHRS). Electronic Health Records Specialists interact with patients, providers, government agencies and insurance companies. This training is designed for people already working in health care and is not designed to provide required training for a specific job in EHR programming or implementation.
Students will have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript).
Students will be prepared to take the national certification exam to become a Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (EHRS).
National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
Exam Cost: $115
Electronic Health Records Specialists are employed at hospitals, doctor offices, billing agencies, clinics, temp agencies, insurance companies and state agencies. This training is designed as a stackable credential or add-on for someone already working in health care to make them more marketable in the workforce.
This training can be completed in 6 to 9 months.
Courses begin monthly at CCBC Essex and CCBC Randallstown.
High School Diploma or GED.
All students must be computer literate and have Internet access.
HIPAA Training REQUIRES 100% attendance. Students arriving late to class will not be admitted. Late arrival to, or early exit from, class will also result in a failing grade and no refund. Students will then be required to retake the class at their expense.
Open Entry – No screening or documentation required.
Program Course Sequence
1. (Prerequisite) Medical Terminology for Health Occupations: AHE 534
- Medical Terminology – The Language of Health Care; published by Lippincott; 1451176767; $83.15
2. HIPAA Training: AHC 360 Or HIPAA Training Online: AHL 719
- Textbook/Materials: Handouts Online
3. Medical Billing: AHL 797 Or Medical Billing Online: AHL 796
- Medical Insurance in a FLASH!; published by F.A. Davis; 978-0-8036-2349-1; $64.60
4. Introduction to Electronic Health Records (EHR): AHL 798 Or Intro to EHR Online: AHL 804
- Electronic Health Record for Allied Health Careers (w/CD Only); published by McGraw Hill; 0073309788; $110.65
- Tuition/Fees: $936-$996 (Tuition-$471/Fees-$465-$525)
- Textbook/Materials: $258.40
Medical Terminology (AHE 534) can be substituted with: OFAD 141; ALHL 115; AHL 717
HIPAA (AHC 360) can be substituted with AHL 719 or AHC 356
NHA Study Guide & Practice Exam: $56
NHA Exam: $115
Program Contact Information
Essex, HTEC 013
Essex, HTEC 005
Financial Aid and Payment Options
- Continuing Education Opportunity Grant
- Partial Payment Option (through Nelnet Business Solutions)
- Tuition Waiver for Senior Citizens and Individuals with Disabilities
- Employer/Sponsor Paid Tuition
- Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
- Local Office of Workforce Development