Aug 21, 2019
This course prepares current dental assistants to learn expanded orthodontic dental assisting functions as approved by the Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners and prepares them to take the Maryland Dental Assisting Expanded Orthodontic Functions Examination administered by the Dental Assisting National Board. These expanded functions are advanced tasks that require increased skill and responsibility. Students must be employed in an orthodontic office where their orthodontist will sign off on their clinical skills. Course topics include: preparing, fitting and cementing orthodontic bands; placing and removing arch wires; and isolating, etching, bonding and placing brackets.
Students will have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript). Students will be awarded a Continuing Education Workforce Training Certificate. Students will be prepared to take the Maryland Dental Assisting Orthodontic Expanded Functions Examination.
Dental Assisting National Board (DANB)
High School Diploma or GED. Letter from your current dental employer stating their willingness to supervise and assess your skills.
All students must be computer literate and have Internet access.
Provisional Entry – Verification from current dentist agreeing to supervise and perform skills assessment.
Program Course Sequence
1. Orthodontic Expanded Functions: AHL 868
- Tuition/Fees: $799 (Tuition-$300/Fees-$499)
- Textbook/Materials: TBA
Financial Aid and Payment Options
- Continuing Education Opportunity Grant
- Partial Payment Option (through Nelnet Business Solutions)
- Tuition Waiver for Senior Citizens and Individuals with Disabilities
- Employer/Sponsor Paid Tuition
- Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
- Local Office of Workforce Development