Dental Assistants work in dental offices assisting Dentists in providing services to patients. The majority of the work is performed for procedures that include development of impressions, assisting in fillings and root canals, and preparation of patient operatory. They may assist in reception and scheduling duties, sterilization of equipment and oral radiography. Hours are generally standard daytime with some evening and weekend flexibility depending on the facility.
CCBC Credential: Students will have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript). Students will be awarded a Continuing Education Workforce Training Certificate as required to sit for oral radiography certification. Students will be eligible to take the radiography certification exam, prepared to gain an entry level dental assistant position, and can challenge the Dental Assistant exam with one year’s experience
Dental Assistant National Board (DANB)
Dental courses are offered at CCBC Dundalk and CCBC Randallstown.
High School Diploma or GED
All students must be computer literate and have Internet access. Clinical eligibility is in part dependent upon a criminal background check and urine drug testing. Cost of the test is the responsibility of the student.
HIPAA Training, CPR and First Aid classes REQUIRE 100% attendance. Students arriving late to class will not be admitted. Late arrival to, or early exit from, class will also result in a failing grade and no refund. Students will then be required to retake the class at their expense.
Students must have the following paperwork turned in to the coordinator PRIOR to the start of clinical:
- Negative PPD (six months) or negative chest x-ray less than one year old
- Positive titer or proof of vaccination/immunity for measles, mumps, rubella and varicella
- Hepatitis B vaccination or declination form
- Tetanus shot (less than ten years)
- Copy of high school diploma or GED
- Current flu vaccination
- Background check and drug screening
Provisional Entry: Students must attend an orientation session prior to registration.
Program Course Sequence
1. (Prerequisite) Professional Preparation for the Health Care Worker: VOB 029
2. (Prerequisite) CPR for Healthcare Providers: AHE 805
- Textbook/Materials: Provided first day of class; price included in course cost
3. (Prerequisite) HIPAA Training: AHC 360 Or HIPAA Training Online: AHL 719
- Textbook/Materials: Handouts Online
4. Introduction to Electronic Health Records: AHL 798 (EHR) Or Intro to EHR Online: AHL 804
- Electronic Health Record for Allied Health Careers; published by McGraw Hill; 9780073309788; $97.90
5. Dental Assistant Oral Radiography: AHL 938
- Torres & Ehrilich Modern Dental Assisting (Bundle); 11th Edition; ISBN 9780323239927; $214.95;
- Dental Radiography Principles and Techniques; published by Elsevier; 5th Edition; ISBN 032397420; $92.75
- Tuition/Fees: $2456-$2496 (Tuition-$1064/Fees-$1392-$1432)
- Textbook/Materials: $418.35
Financial Aid and Payment Options
- Continuing Education Opportunity Grant
- Kathy & Jerry Wood Foundation Vocational Scholarship
- Partial Payment Option (through Nelnet Business Solutions)
- Tuition Waiver for Senior Citizens and Individuals with Disabilities
- Employer/Sponsor Paid Tuition
- Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
- Local Office of Workforce Development