Central Service Technicians decontaminate, disinfect, package, sterilize and distribute surgical instruments, equipment and soft good products. This is a critical support role in surgical areas.
Students will earn a CCBC Workforce Training Certificate and will have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript).
The Central Service Technician Training Series is designed to meet the requirements of the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materials Management (IAHCSMM). Students will be prepared to take the national certification exam to become a Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST).
International Association of Health Care Central Service Material Management (IAHCSMM)
Students may have the opportunity to move into a position that is more material/inventory related, teach, or become supervisors in central processing departments.
High School Diploma or GED
All students must be computer literate and have Internet access.
HIPAA Training, CPR and First Aid classes REQUIRE 100% attendance. Students arriving late to class will not be admitted. Late arrival to or early exit from class will also result in a failing grade and no refund. Students will then be required to retake the class at their expense.
Students must have the following paperwork turned in to the coordinator PRIOR to first class:
Negative PPD (six months) or negative chest x-ray less than one year old
Positive titer or proof of vaccination/immunity for measles, mumps, rubella and varicella
Current Flu vaccination
Hepatitis B vaccination or declination form
Tetanus shot (less than ten years)
Copy of health insurance card
Copy of high school diploma or GED
Clinical eligibility is in part dependent upon a criminal background check and random urine drug testing. Cost of testing is the responsibility of the student. Go to http://precheck.com/ for more information.
Provisional Entry – Prospective students are required to attend an orientation session prior to registration.
Program Course Sequence
1. (Prerequisite) Medical Terminology for Health Occupations: AHE 534
- Medical Terminology—The Language of Health Care (Lippincott); 1451176767; $80.10
2. (Prerequisite) CPR for Health Care Providers: AHE 805
- Provided first day of class. Price included in course cost.
3. (Prerequisite) HIPAA Training: AHC 360 or HIPAA Training Online: AHL 719
4. Central Service Technician Classroom: AHL 045
- Included in course cost; provided first day of class
5. Central Service Technician Clinical I: AHL 046
6. Central Service Technician Clinical II: AHL 047
7. Central Service Technician Clinical III: AHL 048
8. Central Service Technician Clinical IV: AHL 049
- Tuition/Fees: $2096-$2116 (Tuition-$1149/Fees-$947-$967)
- Textbook/Materials: $80.10
Program Contact Information
Financial Aid and Payment Options
- Continuing Education Opportunity Grant
- Partial Payment Option (through Nelnet Business Solutions)
- Tuition Waiver for Senior Citizens and Individuals with Disabilities
- Employer/Sponsor Paid Tuition
- Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
- Local Office of Workforce Development