The Modular Education Program for Activity Professionals (MEPAP) basic education course series prepares students to meet the standards for professional preparation in activity services. Activities professional assistants create activities and programs for residents in long-term care facilities. They are also responsible for documenting activities in compliance with local and Federal health regulations.
Students will earn a CCBC Workforce Training Certificate and have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript). Students will be prepared to take the national certification exam for Professional Activities.
National Certification Council for Activity Professionals
Exam cost: $60.00
Professional Activity Assistants develop and manage appropriate activities for adults in long-term care, adult daycare, and assisted living communities, using State and Federal required assessments and documentation standards.
14 – 16 weeks
Program begins in March and in August at CCBC Essex.
High School Diploma or GED. All students must be computer literate and have Internet access. Practicum eligibility is in part dependent on a criminal background check and random urine drug testing. Cost of the test is the responsibility of the student. Practicum is required to meet the eligibility requirements to sit for the national certification exam.
Students must have the following paperwork turned in to the coordinator PRIOR to first class:
Negative PPD (six months) or negative chest x-ray less than one year old
Positive titer or proof of vaccination/immunity for measles, mumps, rubella and varicella
Current Flu vaccination
Hepatitis B vaccination or declination form
Tetanus shot (less than ten years)
Copy of health insurance card
Copy of high school diploma or GED
Clinical eligibility is in part dependent upon a criminal background check and random urine drug testing. Cost of testing is the responsibility of the student. Go to http://precheck.com/ for more information.
Provisional Entry – Prospective students are required to attend an orientation session.
Program Course Sequence
1. Basic Education Course for Activity Professional I: AHL 915
- Long Term Care for Activity Professionals, Social Services Professionals, and Recreational Therapists; Sixth Edition; published by Idyll Arbor; ISBN 1882883896; $60
2. Basic Education Course for Activity Professional I Practicum: AHL 916
- Tuition/Fees: $750 (Tuition-$740/Fees-$10)
Program Contact Information
Essex, HTEC 013
Essex, HTEC 001
Financial Aid and Payment Options
- Continuing Education Opportunity Grant
- Partial Payment Option (through Nelnet Business Solutions)
- Tuition Waiver for Senior Citizens and Individuals with Disabilities
- Employer/Sponsor Paid Tuition
- Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
- Local Office of Workforce Development