This course series prepares students to sit for the RHCSA certification exam, and for a career as a Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA). This course is teaches students about the Red Hat Enterprise Linux environment, procedures, processes, commands and tools needed to become a RHEL systems administrator. Students learn the essentials of creating and securing networks and network services, keeping files secure and organized, creating and overseeing users and groups, and how to attach and configure a workstation on an existing network, as well as set up, configure and troubleshoot Red Hat Linux Enterprise servers.
CCBC Credential: Students will have access to a Continuing Education academic record (transcript). Students will be awarded a Continuing Education Workforce Training Certificate. Students will be prepared to sit for the RHCSA certification exam.
Red Hat, Inc.
With RHCSA certification, students qualify for entry-level to mid-level positions that include: Red Hat Certified System Administrator, RHCSA Linux Administrator, IT Specialist-Systems Administrator, Systems Engineer, System Architect and Linux Engineer. This career requires continued training and education.
1 semester for prerequisite course
1 semester for Red Hat courses
This course series starts in August, January, and June at CCBC Catonsville. Course schedules vary each semester and may be held face-to-face, online or a combination of the two (hybrid).
High School Diploma or GED. Students must be computer literate, have strong computer skills, and have access to a computer and the Internet to complete assignments.
A+ background or certification; Windows Server background or Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) certification. Experienced professionals can contact the Coordinator to request a waiver for the perquisite course.
Provisional Entry - Students must have permission from the Coordinator before registering for this class. Please contact Steve Ricketts, 443-840-4442 or
Program Course Sequence
1. (Prerequisite) Linux Fundamentals: PCA 623 or PCA 627 (If hybrid) (Shared with credit class DCOM 142)
- Linux Essentials; Bresnahan & Blum; ISBN 978-1-119-09206-3; $40
- Check with Coordinator for potential text update before purchasing
2. Red Hat Enterprise Linux Systems Administration I: PCA 624 or PCA 628(if hybrid) (Shared with credit course DCOM 244)
Online materials included in course costs.
Optional: Red Hat RHCSA/RHCE 7
Certification Guide: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (EX200 and EX300); ISBN 978-0789754059; $50
3. Red Hat Enterprise Linux Systems Administration II: PCA 625 or PCA 629 (if hybrid) (Shared with credit class DCOM 259)
- Tuition/Fees: $1729 (Tuition-$571/Fees-$1158)
- Textbook/Materials: $40-$90
Financial Aid and Payment Options
- Continuing Education Opportunity Grant
- Partial Payment Option (through Nelnet Business Solutions)
- Tuition Waiver for Senior Citizens and Individuals with Disabilities
- Employer/Sponsor Paid Tuition
- Division of Rehabilitation Services (DORS)
- Local Office of Workforce Development