Dec 05, 2020
The General Studies Transfer Certificate is designed for students who intend to transfer to a four-year college or university prior to graduating from CCBC. It provides maximum flexibility for transfer – both for students who enter CCBC with significant transfer credits, as well as students who plan to enroll in a four-year degree program that is not aligned with other CCBC degrees or transfer patterns.
Type of Credential
Contacts and Additional Information
443-840-4835 or email@example.com
Academic Advisement at any CCBC campus or extension center.
NOTE: advising hours are limited at the extension centers, particularly during non-peak registration times. Click on Academic Advisement to see locations and hours.
The General Studies program is very flexible, so it is not possible to identify a single semester sequence that all students should take. However, students are required to complete the English and Mathematics requirements within the first 24 credit hours of courses. Any required developmental (non-credit) English and Math courses must be taken before, or concurrent with, these classes.
Students with no developmental coursework who want to start at CCBC, transfer, and finish a Bachelor’s degree in four years should plan to take 15 credits/semester. Taking fewer credits/semester will increase the time needed to complete a degree.
Students should refer to the College catalog in selecting General Education Courses, as well as the Pathway course tracks. General Studies is considered part of the Behavioral and Social Sciences pathway. Some students declare a General Studies major to explore different options, with the intention of changing majors once they decide on a more specific option. Such students should consult the course tracks for any additional Pathways they are considering, to see what courses would be most beneficial.
Courses Needed for This Program*
General Education Requirements and Electives - 34-36 Credits
General Education Requirements:
General Education Electives:
Choose courses in each category from the list of approved General Education courses . One course must be a Diversity course.
- Arts and Humanities 3 Credits.
- Biological and Physical Sciences (one course must include a lab) 7-8 Credits.
- Information Technology 3 Credits.
- Mathematics 3-4 Credits.
- Social and Behavioral Sciences 6 Credits.
- Wellness and Health 3 Credits.
Total Number of Credits Required for Certificate: 34-36*
*Credit students who are new to college (no successfully completed transferable college credits from other institutions) are required to take ACDV 101 - Academic Development: Transitioning to College . This 1-credit course is designed to be taken in the first semester at CCBC. Students must provide an official transcript(s) from an accredited institution to document successful completion of college coursework for the ACDV 101 requirement to be waived.
The General Studies Transfer Certificate is designed for students who intend to transfer to a four-year college or university prior to graduating from CCBC. Students who choose this option are encouraged to meet with both a CCBC academic advisor/transfer coordinator and an academic advisor at the intended transfer institution.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students will be able to:
- develop an appreciation of life-long learning, embracing opportunities for learning and working in a diverse multi-cultural and global society for personal and professional development;
- apply written and oral communication skills for clear expression and problem solving, employing both quantitative and qualitative reasoning in the scientific process with a focus on technological and information literacy; and
- demonstrate the ability to analyze issues and problems from a multidisciplinary perspective with an appreciation in the arts, humanities, sciences and math promoting critical thinking and problem solving skills.