Dec 14, 2019
Associate of Science (A.S.) in Science
Transfer Pattern - Geology
General Education - 37-38 Credits
General Education Requirements:
General Education Electives:
(Choose courses in each category from the list of approved General Education courses . One of the 3- credit General Education courses must be a Diversity course.)
- Arts and Humanities 3 Credits.
- Social and Behavioral Sciences (From two different disciplines) 6 Credits.
- Biological and Physical Sciences (ERSC 141 /ERSC 142 recommended) 3-4 Credits.
- Wellness and Health 3 Credits.
- Information Technology 3 Credits.
- Global, Historical and Cultural Perspectives 2 Credits.
Program Requirements - 12 Credits
Program Electives - 12 Credits.
Recommended (Select at least 12 credits):
Other Electives - 0 Credits
Total Number of Credits Required for Degree: 61-62*
* A new college orientation requirement, completion of the one-credit ACDV 101 course, Transitioning to College, went into effect spring 2010. If you are a credit student who is new to college (meaning you have not successfully completed college coursework at another institution(s)), you are required to take ACDV 101 during your first semester at CCBC, thereby increasing the number of credits required for this degree to 62-63 credits. Students are required to provide an official transcript(s) to document successful completion of college coursework at another institution(s) in order for this requirement to be waived.
Transfer Pattern Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of this transfer pattern, students will be able to:
- relate the Earth’s dynamic processes to its composition, structure and surface features;
- describe how plate tectonic forces cause volcanoes and earthquakes;
- describe the crustal rock cycle;
- describe the processes involved in weathering and the resultant landforms;
- identify common minerals and rocks of the Earth’s crust;
- read and use geologic maps to interpret geologic events and history;
- use data to solve chemistry problems;
- solve calculus-based physics problems;
- perform geology experiments and write coherent laboratory reports.
Transfer Pattern Description:
This degree pattern is designed to help students transfer to colleges and universities that offer a baccalaureate degree with a major in Geology. Beyond the General Education requirements and options, this pattern should be considered in light of the requirements of the selected transfer institution. Students should consult with a transfer coordinator or an advisor for information about specific requirements.
To receive an Associate of Arts degree from CCBC, a student must complete a minimum of 36 credits of General Education and a minimum of 60 total credits as indicated by the Arts and Science curriculum.