Oct 22, 2019
Secondary Education Requirements - 21 Credits
Special Education - Early Childhood Education Requirements - 39 Credits
Special Education - Elementary Education Requirements - 39 Credits
Special Education-Secondary Education Requirements - 30 Credits
Students are not required to take ACDV 101 in their first semester at CCBC since the minimum admission requirements include a Bachelor’s Degree.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of these requirements, students will be able to:
- demonstrate understanding of how children learn and develop by analyzing instructional practices and student behaviors during an observation in an authentic setting;
- provide learning opportunities that support a child’s intellectual, social, and personal development by creating instructional activities that are developmentally appropriate;
- understand diversity and its connection to learning by analyzing hypothetical scenarios;
- use an understanding of individual and group motivation and behavior that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation by analyzing instructional practices and student behaviors during an observation in an authentic setting;
- understand how to foster active inquiry, collaboration, and supportive interaction in the classroom using verbal, non-verbal, and technological communication techniques by creating a lesson plan using the Maryland Voluntary State Curriculum;
- be reflective and continually evaluate the effects of his or her choices and actions on self and others by completion of their Individual Development Plan; and,
- understand the importance of fostering relationships with colleagues, families, and the larger community by utilizing technology to identify school-and community-based resources that support parents and families.
The Pathway to Teaching for Career Changers fulfills the pedagogical course requirements for Maryland secondary teacher and generic special education certification. It is designed for baccalaureate holders who want to become certified to teach at the secondary level or special education in grades K-12 in Maryland public schools without earning a second college degree. The pedagogical course requirements were developed collaboratively with Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) staff. However, please note that a student teaching experience is not included in this program.
Students interested in the Pathway to Teaching for Career Changers should meet with the Teacher Education Department program director or a campus coordinator before registering for classes. They also need to pass the PRAXIS I Series Core Battery Tests* (academic skills assessment). Finally, they must submit their PRAXIS I Series Core Battery Tests scores* (see exceptions below) and official transcripts of their baccalaureate work to MSDE. Upon receipt of their transcript evaluation by MSDE, students may choose from the listed course selections to complete the pedagogical coursework required in their area. All certification areas require documented teaching experience and a baccalaureate degree before an initial certificate is awarded. This program does not include that teaching experience. Students are referred to the following link for the Certification Branch of MSDE: http://marylandpublicschools.org/MSDE/divisions/certification/certification_branch
*In place of Praxis I, Maryland will accept the following options from candidates:
- SAT taken after 2005: math and critical reading composite score of 1100.
- SAT taken between April, 1995, and 2005: math and verbal composite score of 1100.
- SAT taken prior to April, 1995,: math and verbal composite score of 1000.
- ACT composite score of 24.
- GRE math and verbal composite score of 1000.
Secondary Education grades 7-12
Special Education: Secondary grades 6-adult