HSL 010 - ManageFirst® Controlling Food Costs
3 Continuing Education Units (CEU). This course is not for Credit(s).
This course is designed to enable the student to learn how to control food service costs in the hospitality and food service industries. Topics to be covered include the importance of cost control, forecasting and budgeting, determining menu prices, and controlling labor and other costs.
1. explain how restaurant and food service costs affect profitability and describe the manager’s role in cost control,
2. list and describe the budgeting and forecasting methods used by restaurant and food service managers,
3. define food costs and explain how managers track and analyze food costs,
4. outline the process for calculating plate cost and explain different menu pricing formulas, and
5. recall the tools managers use to estimate food-production levels and monitor quality and processes.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)