HSL 088 - Culinary Foundations II
8.7 Continuing Education Units (CEU). This course is not for Credit(s).
This course is designed to teach students the fundamentals of cooking. Students will learn to read, understand, and apply recipes; execute cooking techniques; and apply safe cooking temperatures while honing one’s production skills. Topics to be covered include thickeners, seasoning agents, and traditional and emulsified sauces. Students may become Serv Safe® Certified. Students will continue to practice and hone one’s skills by preparing meals for the Maryland Food Bank’s network of partners.
1. explain and correctly use recipes for production, including understanding of yield calculation, recipe scaling, and units of measure;
2. discuss and demonstrate knowledge of a variety of seasoning agents: thickeners, sweeteners, acids, and their correct application during the cooking process;
3. discuss and execute a variety of dressings, sauces, and stocks;
4. prepare and understand the differences between emulsions and classical sauces;
5. practice cooking skills while preparing a variety of dishes; and
6. prepare to complete Serv Safe® Food Safety and Training Certification.
[Add to Portfolio]