AHL 140 - Essential Skills for the Health Care Professional
2 Continuing Education Units (CEU). This course is not for Credit(s).
This course is designed to enable the student to learn about the essential skills needed in a professional healthcare setting. Students will develop and maintain communication skills that will help to better their professional and personal growth within their healthcare career. This course is designed to teach students to identify and resolve any conflicts in the workplace, while also identifying expectations and factors to further their careers in a professional setting. Topics to be covered include, effective communication skills, developing strategies for personal growth in receiving positive and negative feedback and criticism, customer service skills, developing awareness of employer expectations, and professional growth.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1. identify effective communication skills needed in a healthcare setting,
2. describe how receiving feedback and criticism leads to personal growth,
3. list strategies for accepting difficult feedback and criticism from supervisors and co-workers,
4. identify good customer service situations and how they are effectively managed,
5. identify situations that commonly lead to workplace conflict,
6. review effective strategies for handling or resolving conflict,
7. identify common employer expectations and factors that often lead to termination or resignation, and
8. identify factors that lead to employee promotion in the healthcare setting.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)