AHL 729 - Surgical Technology Capstone for AAD-ST
1.8 Continuing Education Units (CEU). This course is not for Credit(s).
This course is designed to provide the practicing surgical technologist in the Accelerated Alternate Delivery Distance
Learning Surgical Technology Series (AAD-ST) with additional tools to assist them in their preparation for the National
Certification Exam administered by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting. Topics to be
covered include clinical preceptorship, professional continuing education, developments in the profession, and review of
assessment examination results.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. demonstrate appropriate constructive feedback techniques and become comfortable articulating it to others,
2. describe the benefits of professional memberships and certification,
3. explain the benefits of professional continuing education,
4. discuss current developments in the profession and the importance of active participation in the issues,
5. describe the role of a clinical preceptor,
6. identify and discuss positive preceptor attributes,
7. interpret performance on the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting’s self assessment examination,
8. implement a plan of action to review problematic areas of performance on the self assessment examination, and
9. identify traditional and nontraditional employment opportunities for the Surgical Technologist.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)