AHE 641 - Introduction to Health Care Systems
1.3 Continuing Education Units (CEU). This course is not for Credit(s).
This course is designed to enable the student to evaluate the current health care system from the perspective of the healthcare provider and of the patient. Topics to be covered include an examination of the current health care system in the U.S., the effect managed care has on the quality of health care, the different types of health insurance available to Americans, the types of health care providers and the role of the provider in delivering healthcare, regulations/laws that influence healthcare delivery, and review ethical standards established by different healthcare associations.
Upon completion of the course, the student should be able to:
1. compare and contrast different health care settings,
2. compare different medical management models and their influence on healthcare delivery,
3. identify members of the healthcare team and their roles in delivering patient care,
4. compare and contrast available health insurance,
5. determine the effects of culture in public willingness to participate in the healthcare system,
6. review medical ethical codes, and
7. discuss the influence of regulations/laws on the healthcare system.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)